The International Broadcaster serves as a Reporter in the Central News Division. The incumbent is responsible for researching, writing, producing and voicing short, accurate and balanced stories for the daily file. The Reporter will also be assigned to assist the General Assignments Reporters or Correspondents in their assigned on-going coverage of breaking news, particular news makers, subjects of particular importance to VOA audiences or newsworthy institutions.
THIS POSITION IS COVERED BY AN UNION AGREEMENT
Note: Budgetary conditions may delay or otherwise affect filling this vacancy. However, all interested candidates should apply now.
The Broadcasting Board of Governors is conveniently located within walking distance to the Green, Yellow and Blue Metro lines.
INTRODUCTION TO AGENCY
The Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG), an independent federal agency, is an exciting, multi cultural organization that encompasses all U.S. civilian international broadcasting. The BBG is comprised of the Voice of America, which delivers high quality, multimedia programming in 44 languages to audiences worldwide; the Office of Cuba Broadcasting (Radio and TV Marti); the International Broadcasting Bureau, which provides transmission, administrative, and other support services; and three grantee organizations - Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty; the Middle East Broadcasting Networks (Alhurra TV and Radio Sawa), and Radio Free Asia. Our staff of dedicated professionals serves as an example of a free and independent media, reaching a worldwide audience with news, information, and relevant discussions.
The Full Performance Level: 12
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Incumbent will report on daily news events and developments and stories of particular of interest to VOAs global audiences.
- Provide assistance to more senior reporters by arranging, doing interviews and segments to be included in the more in-depth stories.
- The incumbent, through research, planning and the use of a variety of news sources, will either be responsible for assisting a senior correspondent or writing his/her own news stories in English for use by VOA programmers on radio, television and the Web.
- Development of stories is carried out by securing timely and topical interviews with appropriate experts and story subjects and stories are issued to the House for use by the VOA programmers.
- Incumbent writes, voices and produces completed packages; prepares a completed text integrating audio or video, as appropriate; voices the text editing in taped material.
Works with producers and/or videograghers as appropriate to complete text and audio or video for broadcast and translation by VOA language services.