Incumbent provides expert advice and validated decisions to the Chief, Prevention Department, Captain of the Port(COTP), and Officer in Charge Marine Inspection (OCMI) on matters related to marine casualty investigation. The Senior Marine Investigator serves as the Prevention Department's civilian resident source of investigation program policies, technical expert on marine investigations overseeing and conducting Coast Guard investigations and enforcement actions involving licensed merchant mariners including suspensions and revocation proceeding and settlement agreements.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team.
Typical work assignments include:
* Setting project priorities, program goals, establishes work deadlines, and provides guidance to subordinates.
* Overseeing the Investigations Division strategic plan including the development and attainment of goals and objectives.
* Managing the division's budget and ensures the investigating officers are properly equipped to carry out assigned duties.
* Mangling and providing quality oversight of data entry into the Marine Information for Safety and Law Enforcement database; ensuring accurate and timely entry of the investigative results; oversees and takes follow-up actions on safety recommendations submitted as a result of investing findings.
* Assuring that subordinates are trained and fully comply with safety regulations.
* Planning, assigning and reviewing work to develop work improvement plans.
* Effects disciplinary measures, recommending selections, promotions, personnel recognition, providing advice and counseling to worker related to work and other administrative matters. Carrying out Equal Employment Opportunity.
* Conducting Formal Investigations, determines jurisdiction, classification, and level of investigative efforts required.