Job Title: Dairy Market ReporterJob Announcement Number: 24DY-2013-0006
Department: Department Of Agriculture
Agency: Agricultural Marketing Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, June 10, 2013 to
Monday, July 15, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
WHO MAY APPLY:
This announcement is open to all United States citizens. (Current and Former Federal employees may also apply with a separate application to Merit Promotion vacancy announcement #6DY-2013-0009. For information on viewing Merit Promotion announcements, click Locating a Status Position on USAJOBS.)
This position serves the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Marketing Service, Dairy Programs, Economics Division, Market Information Branch, which provides timely, accurate, and comprehensive market information on milk and dairy products to enhance market transparency in the dairy industry. Duties are related primarily to publication of Dairy Market News. The incumbent coordinates and carries out specific assignments to gather, evaluate, and disseminate dairy information for selected milk and dairy products as well as special projects related to dairy marketing information.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Collects, analyzes, summarizes, verifies, disseminates, and protects sensitive market information of national significance covering large geographic areas.
- Participates in daily operations by applying accepted policies and procedures involving Dairy Market News’ best practices to dairy market reporting.
- Contacts dairy industry representatives (on a weekly and bi-weekly basis) to discover and report current market information on milk and dairy products, including demand, supply, prices and inventory levels.
- Understands and participates as a back-up, in the event of an emergency, in daily operations by applying accepted policies and procedures involving statistical methods to the Dairy Product Mandatory Reporting Program (DPMRP) and Federal Milk Order Statistics (FMOS).
- Reviews and carries out both long-term and short-term goals for critical program areas.
- Reviews and suggests potential changes to policies and procedures to improve efficiency and transparency of the program.
- Develops and maintains educational and instructional knowledge and materials on dairy marketing information, methods, and practices.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
GS-9: Master's or equivalent graduate degree or two full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Business, or Dairy Science.
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: Transcripts.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-9 GRADE LEVEL
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors. Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
- Formulating and administering a program related to national market reporting services for dairy products, development, and dissemination of specialized marketing information and statistics for the Federal milk order programs.
- Performing duties related to Economics Division assignments, including Dairy Products Mandatory Reporting Program and Federal Milk Order Statistics.
- Providing statistical and economic services for Dairy Programs and essential information basic to the effective planning and administering of other USDA and government programs.
- Communicating market news information to industry representatives to discover and report current market information on milk and dairy products.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-9 GRADE LEVEL
Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Administrative and Management Positions
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one-year probationary period.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- General knowledge of agricultural commodity markets and marketing practices
- Ability to collect, analyze, and evaluate data in order to provide factual, unbiased, timely information on supply, demand, price, movement, and trade conditions pertaining to agricultural commodities
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, meet deadlines, and adapt to changing work locations and environments
- Oral & Written communication ability
- Knowledge of the methods, principles, techniques, and requirements pertaining to the reporting of market news covering dairy products
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.