Unless you are currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service (SES) appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program approved by OPM, you must submit a narrative statement covering each of the Executive Core Qualifications. All applicants must submit a narrative statement covering each of the Technical Qualifications in order to receive consideration for the position.
To view additional information on the proper preparation of Executive Core Qualification statements available on the Office of Personnel Management's website, please see the SES Handbook and NASA's Guide to Effectively Preparing Executive Core Qualifications for more information.
When responding to the Mandatory Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications, you must clearly show that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of this position by submitting narrative responses in which you detail your experience in each of the Technical Qualifications and the Executive Core Qualifications.
Your examples should be clear and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives and level of contacts. You should limit your narrative to two pages per Mandatory Technical Qualification and Executive Core Qualification.
Applicants who use "see resume" as a response will not receive consideration for the position.
In addition to demonstrating executive level managerial capability as described in the Mandatory Technical and Executive Core Qualifications below, the applicant must have the skill and ability to perform the duties as demonstrated by progressively responsible supervisory/managerial experience, normally with several years at the GS-15 level or equivalent, which clearly identifies the ability to manage people and resources.
WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU COMPLETE YOUR ANSWERS OFF-LINE IN ADVANCE OF BEGINNING THE APPLICATION PROCESS, SO THAT YOU CAN INSERT THEM INTO THE ELECTRONIC FORM. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT SAVED.
Basic requirements for this position allows eligibility through meeting either the education or experience requirements specified below:
Education: All academic degrees and coursework must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions
Undergraduate or graduate education with major study in physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
Combination of education and experience -- education equivalent to one of the majors shown above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
For this position applicants must address the following executive core and mandatory technical qualifications:
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Leading Change - Involves the ability to bring about strategic change, within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People - Involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organizations vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven - Involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen - Involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions - Involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Demonstrated mastery of science and technology in relevant fields, with emphasis on one or more of the
core mission areas, Earth science, heliophysics, planetary science, and astrophysics.
2. Demonstrated ability to manage large, complex organizations and programs.
3. Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences, including senior and subordinate
managers, the scientific and academic communities, other Federal agencies, and Congressional Officials.
If you do not possess the mandatory technical qualifications described above, you will be considered ineligible for this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants will be evaluated by an Executive Resources Panel based on the managerial and technical qualification requirements stated in this announcement. Eligible candidates will be placed in qualified and highly-qualified categories. Interviews, and qualification and suitability inquiries may be requested. The highly-qualified will be referred to the appropriate official who will recommend selection.