Basic Qualification Requirements
A. Have successfully completed a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelors degree with a major study in an appropriate field of physical science.
B. Have successfully completed a 4-year course of study that included at least 24 semester hours in any combination of courses such as: physical science, engineering, or any branch of mathematics, except financial and commercial mathematics.
Additional Requirements for the GS-1311-05:
A. Have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-4 grade level in the Federal service, using a variety of equipment and instruments to collect, prepare, and/or analyze samples; setting up and starting automated laboratory equipment.
B. Have successfully completed a four course of study as described under the Basic Qualification Requirement above which is qualifying at the GS-5 grade level only.
C. Have a combination of experience as described in A above and education as described B above. In order to combine education and experience, determine the applicants total qualifying experience as a percentage of the experience required for the grade level. Then determine the applicants education as a percentage of the education required for the grade level. Finally, add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent.
Additional Requirement for GS-06:
A. Have one year of experience, equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service, conducting laboratory analyses under any chemistry program, including but not limited to pesticides, sanitation, food and color additives, chemical contaminants and/or drug residues.
B. Have completed at least six months (9 semester hours) of graduate level education with a major study in an appropriate field of physical science.
C. Have a combination of experience as described in "A" and graduate level education as described in "B" above. In order to combine education and experience, determine the applicant's total qualifying experience as a percentage of the experience required for the grade level. Then determine the applicant's education as a percentage of the education required for the grade level. Finally, add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent.
Additional Requirement for GS-07:
A. Have one year of experience, equivalent to at least the GS-6 level in the Federal service, using various equipment and instruments to make complete and accurate records of receipt and handling of samples on analytical worksheets, recording procedures, observations, measurements, interpretations and evaluations of sanitation, drugs, food additives, chemical contaminants, medical devices and/or pesticides.
B. Have completed one full year of graduate level education directly related to the work of this position as described in the basic qualifications above.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
7. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: No
10. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
11. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Basis of Rating:
Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the following quality categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
Best Qualified Applicants who have experience that is almost identical to those required by the position, including any quality ranking factors identified.
Well Qualified Applicants who have experience that is very similar to those required by the position.
Qualified Applicants who meet minimum qualification requirements, but do not identify any additional qualifying experience or skill.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately, but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Knowledge of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and related laws and regulations.
2. Knowledge of the principles and techniques of physical science.
3. Ability to communicate in writing.
4. Ability to communicate orally.