Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
Who May Apply: Federal employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service; former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility based on previous career or career-conditional appointments; displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP); veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service; Military Spouses; PHS Commissioned Corps Officers; individuals eligible for VRA appointments (at the GS-11 and below grade levels); and individuals with disabilities.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), Office of Device Evaluation (ODE), Division of Surgical Devices (DSD) in Silver Spring, Maryland.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-FDA-DE-13-895669 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions.
Announcement amended to extend the closing date.
This is an Interdisciplinary series position and may be filled with the following series: 806, Materials Engineer; 850, Electrical Engineer; or 858, Biomedical Engineer.
This position has supervisory/managerial responsibilities. A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period is required upon selection/placement. This may be waived if you have successfully completed the supervisory/managerial probationary period.
This position is also advertised concurrently with HHS-FDA-MP-897570, Supv. Medical Officer, HHS-FDA-MP-13-901161, Supv. Interdisciplinary Scientist. NOTE: You must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
If selected for this position, you will:
· Serve as the Division Director and provide executive leadership in managing and directing a scientific, professional, and technical support staff of approximately 50 people;
· Coordinate the work of subordinate staff and other office personnel involved in the development and execution of general surgery and plastic and reconstructive surgery devices device classification, premarket approval, and research programs;
· Serve as a top technical expert and advisor and is recognized as a national authority and leader in the medical and reconstructive surgery devices as they relate to investigational device exemptions, premarket notifications, and applications for premarket approval;
· Develop and coordinate all of the surgical device programs and policies of the Food and Drug Administration;
· Participate in Inter-Agency task groups as an expert in surgical and reconstructive devices and also participates in technical working groups in other Agencies, such as, the National Institutes of Health;
· Represent the U.S. Government on issues pertaining to general surgery and plastic and reconstructive surgery devices at meetings with foreign manufacturers, health care professionals and government officials, and at international meetings.