Incumbent serves as Director of the Latin America Division of the Voice of America (VOA). The incumbent leads broadcasters and support personnel to deliver high quality news and information programs and content to audiences in key regions of Latin America and the Caribbean. He/She is responsible for all management administrative matters for the Latin America Division output, including budget planning and execution, personnel management, contracting, procurement, and internal controls.
THIS POSITION IS NOT COVERED BY AN UNION AGREEMENT
Note: Budgetary conditions may delay or otherwise affect filling this vacancy. However, all interested candidates should apply now.
The Broadcasting Board of Governors is conveniently located within walking distance to the Green, Yellow and Blue Metro lines.
INTRODUCTION TO AGENCY
The Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG), an independent federal agency, is an exciting, multi cultural organization that encompasses all U.S. civilian international broadcasting. The BBG is comprised of the Voice of America, which delivers high quality, multimedia programming in 44 languages to audiences worldwide; the Office of Cuba Broadcasting (Radio and TV Marti); the International Broadcasting Bureau, which provides transmission, administrative, and other support service; and three grantee organizations - Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty; the Middle East Broadcasting Networks (Alhurra TV and Radio Sawa), and Radio Free Asia. Our staff of dedicated professionals serves as an example of a free and independent media, reaching a worldwide audience with news, information, and relevant discussions.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS MERIT PROMOTION VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED DEU ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This vacancy is being advertised under Merit Promotion procedures and is open to all status applicants. The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under delegated examining unit (DEU) procedures for non-status applicants under announcement DEU-13-139. Status applicants are those individuals who are currently serving on a career or career-conditional appointment, individuals who are eligible for reinstatement, or individuals who are applying under the VEOA program. Applicants who wish to be considered under both delegated examining and merit promotion procedures MUST apply to both vacancy announcements.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
· Leadership in development of initiatives aimed at creating and or expanding VOA audiences in the hemisphere.
· Ensure quality and content of the Divisions media output while adhering to the VOA Charter and Journalistic Code
· Plans, organizes, and manages broadcast and new media programming to the target region including placement on local radio and television stations
· Oversight of resource management controls and financial execution of the Division budget.
· Actively participate in meetings with the VOA Director, Executive Editor, Associate Director for Language Programming and other VOA Directors regarding short and long range VOA radio, television and Internet activities
Technical direction and supervision of a workforce through a staff of subordinate supervisors