Job Title: Memorial Service Network DirectorJob Announcement Number: VA-SES-13-901168-NE
Department: Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency: Veterans Affairs, National Cemetery Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, June 10, 2013 to
Monday, June 24, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
Senior Executive Service (SES)
1 vacancy in the following location:
Denver, CO United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
All groups of qualified individuals
The Department of Veterans Affairs is interested in attracting the best talent for our diverse cadre of SES members from all sources: within VA, the Federal government, and from the private sector. We have streamlined our recruitment process and now only require you to submit a 5 page resume to apply for this position.
This position serves as the National Cemetery Administrations (NCA), Executive Director, Memorial Service Network III (MSN III) in Denver, CO. The incumbent implements departmental operating plans and policies for effective governance of an organized and interdependent, but decentralized memorial benefits and services delivery system with a focus on honoring Veterans. The incumbent leads a region-wide, network of 19 National Cemeteries (12 subordinate cemetery directors and 243 government employees) in the states of Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico and a network staff of 10-14 employees, some in professional occupations, e.g., engineers and agronomists. To know more about the National Cemetery Administration please visit: http://www.cem.va.gov/.
VA structures its SES positions into pay bands. This is a pay band 3 position and the salary range is $119,554 to $165,300.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs, a recruitment incentive/relocation incentive and/or Appraised Value Offer may be authorized.
Multiple similarly categorized positions may be filled using this vacancy announcement.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Successful completion of a background investigation.
- Selectee may be subject to reassignment geographically or organizationally.
- Public Financial Disclosure Report (SF-278) is required.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Recruitment/Relocation incentive may be authorized.
DUTIES:Back to top
The Executive Director, Memorial Service Network III, is responsible to the Under Secretary for Memorial Affairs, through the Deputy Under Secretary for Field Programs. The position requires the effective and economical direction, control, and operation of geographically dispersed national cemeteries. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as a systems manager, utilizing specialized technical skills, creativity, and innovation to ensure that agency employees and agency physical assets to provide Veterans and their families with high quality, compassionate and effective memorial benefits and services;
- Meets operational requirements for providing dignified interment services to eligible decedents;
- Develops and updates the tactical and strategic plans for the MSN to achieve consistency with NCA.
- Ensures that resources are planned, disbursed, and obligated in accordance with budget plans.
- Achieves NCA objectives in quality of services as evaluated through customer service surveys and other instruments.
- Fosters the NCA culture of service and ethical practices which model VA and NCA core values.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The Senior Executive Service (SES) is comprised of the men and women charged with leading the continuing transformation of government. These leaders possess well-honed executive skills, share a broad perspective of government, and a public service commitment.
Both competitive and non-competitive applicants MUST SHOW in your 5 PAGE RESUME that you possess the five Mandatory Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and the Technical Qualification(s) outlined below.
The target competencies deemed most pertinent to this position have been specified under each ECQ description below. It is highly recommended that your resume address your accomplishments in these specific competency areas. Remember, your resume must not exceed 5 pages including an optional cover letter. Any information in excess of 5 pages will NOT be considered or evaluated.
The definitions of the SES ECQs and their underlying competencies can be found at:
A. Executive Core Qualifications
ECQ 1. LEADING CHANGE:
Target Competency 1: Flexibility
ECQ 2. LEADING PEOPLE:
Target Competency 1: Conflict Management
Target Competency 2: Developing Others
ECQ 3. RESULTS DRIVEN:
Target Competency 1: Accountability
Target Competency 2: Problem Solving
Target Competency 3: Customer Service
ECQ 4. BUSINESS ACUMEN:
Target Competency 1: Financial Management
Target Competency 2 Human Capital Management
ECQ 5. BUILDING COALITIONS:
Target Competency 1: Partnering
Target Competency 2: Influencing and Negotiating
B. Technical Qualifications:
1. Demonstrated experience in successfull leading and managing a large public or private sector organization that administers complex, rules-based benefits and/or services for a large group of customers.
1. Drug Testing: All non-VA applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in any position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
2. Qualifications Approval and Probationary Period: Persons newly selected for career appointment to the Senior Executive Service must have their Executive Core Qualifications approved by an Office of Personnel Management Qualifications Review Board and will be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
3. Travel: Some travel may be required.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
All applicants will be evaluated by a panel of managers to determine the degree to which they possess the above qualifications. Among the factors the evaluation panel will consider in determining the applicant's relative capacity and fitness for the position are education, training, and quality of experience based on the accomplishments identified in the resume.