Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
Who May Apply: Federal employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service; former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility based on previous career or career-conditional appointments; displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP); veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service; Military Spouses; PHS Commissioned Corps Officers; individuals eligible for VRA appointments (at the GS-11 and below grade levels); and individuals with disabilities.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), Office of Device Evaluation (ODE), Division of Neurological and Physical Medicine Devices (DNPMD), in Silver Spring, Maryland.
This vacancy is being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-FDA-DE-13-897058 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions in multiple locations.
Announcement amended to extend the closing date.
This is an Interdisciplinary series position and may be filled with the following series: GS-0401, Biologist; GS-0403, Microbiologist; or GS-1320-Chemist.
Note: Announcement amended to reflect new number for the Medical Officer position.
This position is also advertised concurrently with HHS-FDA-MP-13-904871, Supv. Medical Officer, HHS-FDA-MP-13-897173, Supv. Interdisciplinary Engineer. NOTE: You must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position has supervisory/managerial responsibilities.
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period is required
upon selection/placement. This may be waived if you have
successfully completed the supervisory/managerial probationary
If selected for this position, you will:
· Serve as the Division Director and provide executive leadership in managing and directing a scientific, professional, and technical support staff of approximately 45 people;
· Coordinate the work of subordinate staff and other office personnel involved in the development and execution of execution of neurological and physical medicine device classification, premarket approval, and research programs;
· Serve as a top technical expert and advisor and is recognized as a national authority and leader in the neurological and physical medicine devices as they relate to investigational device exemptions, premarket notifications, and applications for premarket approval;
· Develop and coordinate all of the neurological and physical medicine programs and policies of the Food and Drug Administration;
· Participate in Inter-Agency task groups as an expert in neurological and physical medicine devices and also participates in technical working groups in other Agencies, such as, the National Institutes of Health;
· Represent the U.S. Government on issues pertaining to neurological and physical medicine devices at meetings with foreign manufacturers, health care professionals and government officials, and at international meetings;
· Further the goals of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) by taking positive steps to assure the accomplishment of affirmative action objectives and by adhering to nondiscriminatory employee practices with regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or handicap.