Find solutions to Agricultural Problems that Affect Americans Every Day, From Field to Table
*This vacancy has been amended to extend the closing date through July 10, 2013.
Appointment Information: This is a TERM position, not to exceed 13 months. This position may be extended up to a total of 4 years at the discretion of management without further competition. Telework is available. Relocation expenses may be authorized.
This position is administratively assigned to the Agricultural Research Service (ARS), National Programs, Office of International Research Programs (OIRP). The incumbent is responsible for the management of the new SERVIR hub for Southeast Asia, coordination and communication among multiple participants within USAID and SERVIR's implementing partners, and representation of the SERVIR program in international settings. This position is based in USAID's Regional Development Mission for Asia (RDMA) in Bangkok, Thailand.
For more information on SERVIR, click here: https://servirglobal.net/default.aspx
The salary listed for this position is the base salary. In addition to this salary, the incumbent will also receive a Cost of Living Allowance at the rate of 25% and a Post (Hardship) Differential at the rate of 10%. The incumbent will be eligible for additional allowances related to Education and Living Quarters. Additional information can be found here: http://aoprals.state.gov/Web920/location_action.asp?MenuHide=1&amp;amp;CountryCode=1143.
The Office of International Research Programs (OIRP) mission is to enhance the productivity, effectiveness, and impact of the ARS National Programs through mutually beneficial international research and development collaboration in agriculture and natural resources.
This position requires the selectee to undergo a pre-employment check and a full background investigation. Any offer made is considered a tentative job offer pending the outcome of the pre-employment check. Retention in the position is based upon a favorable adjudication of the background investigation. The incumbent will be subject to periodic reinvestigations.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
The official title of this position will be: Science Advisor.
The incumbent is responsible for a range of duties that focus on three categories - management of the new SERVIR hub for Southeast Asia; coordination and communication among multiple participants within USAID and SERVIR's implementing partners; and representation of the SERVIR program in international settings. The incumbent:
- Serves as a Contracting Officer's Representative (COR) in Bangkok at USAIDs Regional Development Mission for Asia (RDMA) for the SERVIR-Southeast Asia Hub and guides the Hub in the development of work plans and performance management and monitoring plans.
- Facilitates the use of SERVIR tools and products by USAID and its partners in Southeast Asia to improve development approach and impact.
- Articulates the development benefits of earth observations and geospatial technologies to pressing development challenges.
- Supports international efforts such as the Group on Earth Observations (GEO) and the Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS).
- Collaborates with the SERVIR Demand Contractor, which involves supporting the SERVIR Hub, as needed, by identifying demand for SERVIR tools and products in the region and linking it with the supply of those tools and products. The SERVIR Demand Contractor reports directly to the USAID Bureau for Economic Growth, Education, and Environment (E3) SERVIR Team.
- Serves as a liaison with other donors as well as with other US Government agencies, for example, USDA, NASA, NOAA, USGS, EPA, NGA, State Department, and various entities of the Department of Defense; and representing the US Government with foreign counterparts, academic and research institutions, foreign space agencies, and private sector partners on the applications of geospatial information technologies.