SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as the following Selective Placement Factors:
Writing or leading the development of articles, news releases, talking points, audio and video scripts, and social media and web content to specialized audiences about energy issues;
Writing and editing a variety of articles about energy policy and analysis; Conducting outreach efforts to energy-related agencies, organizations and policies-makers;
Maintaining effective working relationships with representatives of print and broadcast media; and
Preparing top-level officials for radio and/or television appearances or other news media interviews.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
1. Knowledge of policies, products, and critical energy issues in order to effectively respond to requests for information from media representatives, other governmental entities, and the general public.
2. Knowlege of the principles, methods, practices and techniques of communication that enables the public affairs specialist to function as the technical authority responsible for the development and execution of plans for dissemination of written and oral information to encourage groups and individuals within the EIA to adopt program results developed from public input.
3. Knowledge of writing and editing for print and electronic media. Broad knowledge of, and experience in, writing and/or editing material related to energy, sciences, and economics. Specialized knowledge of English grammar, Government style, and effective online presentation/writing techniques.
4. Knowledge of, and skilled in, the principles, methods, practices, and techniques of external and internal communications and outreach efforts, utilizing both traditional and social media, in order to function as an expert in planning and carrying out outreach programs of national scope and significance.
5. Skill in interpreting, synthesizing, expressing, and presenting highly technical energy data, analyses and complex analytical information for a variety of audiences, including the general public.
6. Skill in oral and written communications to communicate with peers and high level officials from within and outside EIA to exchange information, coordinate and execute assignments or resolve problems
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Although a degree is not required, your educational background will be strongly
considered in the evaluation of your overall qualifications for this position. Supporting documentation of your education and training is appreciated, even though not required for this position. Please fax all supporting documents
in accordance with the instructions provided under Required Documents in the "How to Apply" section.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
This position is not covered under the bargaining unit of NTEU.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted. To preview questions please click here.