Job Title: DEPUTY ASSOCIATE ADMINISTRATOR FOR MISSION SUPPORTJob Announcement Number: HQ13S0010
Department: National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Agency: Headquarters, NASA
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 to
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Washington DC, DCView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
This announcement is open to all qualified U.S. citizens.
NASA is looking for exceptional leaders for the 21st century! If you are interested in leading dynamic organizations responsible for fulfilling or supporting exciting scientific and aeronautic missions, there may be a place for you on the team. Seize this opportunity to use your current skills, build new ones, and make significant contributions to our nation's future. As an added benefit, you would be joining an agency ranked as the best place in the Federal government to work.
The incumbent reports to the Associate Administrator (AA) for Mission Support within the Mission Support Directorate. With the AA, the Deputy Associate Administrator oversees long-term mission support planning, execution, integration, and alignment of mission support activities in support of Agency strategic needs.
Please note that all vacancies opening after October 1, 2006, reflect OPM's new Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs). Although the titles of the five ECQs have not changed, the definitions have been revised. Please read the definition of each ECQ carefully and be sure to respond accordingly.
- Position subject to pre-employment background investigation.
- First time SES appointees are subject to a one-year probationary period.
- A financial disclosure statement is required upon appointment into the SES.
DUTIES:Back to top
Together with the AA, the Deputy Associate Administrator advises the NASA Administrator/Deputy Administrator concerning all aspects of institutional support to enable the Agency to successfully accomplish its missions. The incumbent strives to improve processes, stimulate efficiency, and provide consistency and uniformity across institutional capabilities and services. The Deputy Associate Administrator is responsible for managing the following functional support offices: Headquarters Operations, Human Capital Management, Strategic Infrastructure, Internal Controls and Management Systems, NASA Shared Services Center, NASA Management Office for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Procurement, and Protective Services.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, candidates must have the skill and ability to perform the duties described above as demonstrated by progressively responsible supervisory/managerial experience, normally with several years at the GS-15 level or equivalent, which demonstrates clearly the ability to manage people and resources.
Candidates must also demonstrate qualifications in the managerial and technical areas noted below. See the SES Handbook and NASA's Guide to Effectively Preparing Executive Core Qualifications for more information. IMPORTANT: CANDIDATES MUST FULLY ADDRESS ALL ITEMS UNDER EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS AS WELL AS ALL ITEMS UNDER TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU COMPLETE YOUR ANSWERS OFF-LINE IN ADVANCE OF BEGINNING THE APPLICATION PROCESS, SO THAT YOU CAN INSERT THEM INTO THE ELECTRONIC FORM. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT SAVED.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Leading Change - Involves the ability to bring about strategic change, within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People - Involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organizations vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven - Involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen - Involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions - Involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
1. Technical Qualification #1: Expert knowledge and skill in developing long-term planning, directing strategy formulation, and implementing agency-level policy recommendations.
2. Technical Qualification #2: Experience that demonstrates the ability to integrate financial management and workforce planning, to include budget execution and funding resolution to address agency-level interests and organizational needs.
3. Technical Qualification #3: Comprehensive knowledge of and/or experience in managing a minimum of two of the following areas: Procurement; Information Technology; Human Capital Management programs; Infrastructure; Protective Services; and Internal Controls functions.
4. Technical Qualification #4: Ability to communicate and interface with a varied audience, including senior and subordinate managers, and demonstrated experience in responding, reprioritizing, and/or identifying risk to the organization in support of strategic organizational goals, missions, and priorities.
5. Technical Qualification #5: Experience in acquiring, developing, and leading a diverse workforce.
Position subject to pre-employment background investigation.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants will be evaluated by an Executive Resources Panel based on the managerial and technical qualification requirements stated in this announcement. Eligible candidates will be placed in qualified and highly-qualified categories. Interviews, and qualification and suitability inquiries may be requested. The highly-qualified will be referred to the appropriate official who will recommend selection.
BENEFITS:Back to top
For information about employment as a Senior Executive, please refer to the OPM Handbook
Any applicant tentatively selected for this position may be required to undergo a pre-employment background investigation.
This announcement is for a career appointment to a position in the NASA Senior Executive Service (SES).
Persons entering the SES for the first time are subject to a one-year probationary period.
A financial disclosure statement is required upon appointment into the SES. This statement will be used to avoid conflicting situations in employment through advice and counseling.
Your USAJOBS account asks you to assign a name to each of your resumes. When you apply to a NASA position, we will show you the text of the resume you have submitted, but we do not maintain the name you have assigned to that resume. If you wish to keep track of that information, we recommend you make note of it at the time you apply.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
This vacancy is being filled through NASA STARS, an automated Staffing and Recruitment System. NASA partners with USAJOBS in providing a seamless application process. Before you begin the application process, please read the vacancy announcement carefully and have all required information available. You may begin the process of submitting your resume by clicking on the Apply Online link. In order to be considered, you must submit a resume completed on the USAJOBS site. When completing your USAJOBS resume, please remember: that NASA limits resumes to the equivalent of approximately SIX typed pages, or approximately 22,000 characters (including spaces). You will not be allowed to complete the application process if your resume is too long. If you are a current career member of the SES, or have reinstatement eligibility based on prior service under a career SES appointment, you do not need to address the Executive Core Qualifications. Once you submit your resume to NASA, you will be asked to provide additional information, including narrative statements about your managerial and technical qualifications. Responses to the Executive Core Qualifications questions may not exceed 32,200 characters (approximately 10 pages). Responses to technical qualifications are also limited to 32,200 characters. Because your answers will not be saved until you complete the entire application, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS IN A SEPARATE TEXT DOCUMENT AND INSERT THEM INTO THE ON-LINE FORM. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT SAVED. Do NOT include your answers in the body of your USAJOBS resume, since they will be asked separately. We also recommend that you take some time to carefully prepare these documents, especially your Executive Core Qualifications. Helpful information can be found here
. If you are unable to apply electronically for this position, submit your resume and supplemental information to: National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Resume Operations Center, Mailstop: HS50, Marshall Space Flight Center, AL 35812. DO NOT submit your resume directly to the Center advertising this vacancy. Mailed resumes must be received by the close of business on the closing date of the announcement. Hard copy resumes requirements are provided at: Hard Copy Resume Requirements
. If you are a first time applicant, we recommend that you review NASA's Applicant Guide
to ensure that you are providing a complete resume. Failure to submit the supplemental data and a resume that contains all of the required information may result in loss of consideration for positions in which you are interested. All applications must be received no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
NASA's application process has been specifically developed to ensure that we only ask you for the information we absolutely need to evaluate your qualifications and eligibility. In order to apply for this position, you need to submit your resume and answer the screening questions and supplemental information. You must also respond to both the Executive Core Qualifications (Managerial Qualifications) and the Technical Qualifications. No additional documentation is accepted at the time of application. In this way we allow you to focus on preparing a resume that best describes your background and abilities. For assistance in preparing your resume, consult the Applicant Guide
. Nothing further is required unless we make you an employment offer. At that point, we may ask you to submit documentation to support statements made in your resume. For example, we may ask you to provide academic transcripts or proof of Federal employment status. If you fail to provide the required documents within the stated time period, we may use that as a basis for withdrawing our employment offer.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Although you may or may not be contacted during the selection process, we will always advise you about the outcome of the announcement. If you have questions, please feel free to contact the individual identified in the Contact section.