The Indian Health Service is required by law to give preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The IHS is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal and Urban operated facilities and programs. For information on the IHS visit IHS.GOV.
The Pathways Internship Program is a streamlined program which replaces the Student Education Employment Program (SEEP) by consolidating the Student Career Experience Program (SCEP) and the Student Temporary Employment Program (STEP). The Program is designed to attract students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions (high school, home-school programs, vocational and technical, undergraduate and graduate) with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school. This program exposes students to jobs in the Federal civil service by providing meaningful development work at the beginning of their career, before their careers paths are fully established.
Temporary appointments may be extended without further competition. An agency may convert an Intern non-competitively from the Internship Program to a term or permanent position in the competitive service provided that all the terms of section 5 CFR 362.204 are met and there is an available position. However, conversion is not mandatory or guaranteed. U.S. citizenship is required to be eligible for conversion.
Internship positions are located within various offices at IHS Headquarters in Rockville, Maryland.
Who may apply
- Students currently enrolled in a degree/certificate seeking program.
- Multiple vacancies in the following location: Rockville, MD United States
See Jobs at IHS.gov for more details
- Filing and scanning documents for mailings, internal distribution, filing, etc.
- Operating copy machines to assemble and distribute documents.
- Receives visitors and answers the telephone, receives and relays messages in a pleasant, friendly, and coherent manner.
- Utilizes word processing software to create and edit a variety of documents in draft and final form. This requires the incumbent to use good judgment in spacing and arrangement, correct grammar, punctuation and spelling, and knowledge of proper formats.
- Other duties as assigned.