Job Title:Lead Health Communications Specialist
Department:Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency:Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number:HHS-CDC-D2-13-894119
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, May 20, 2013 to
Tuesday, May 28, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Atlanta, GA United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens |
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP), Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity (DNPAO) in Atlanta, GA.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M2-13-893714 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply: Open to US citizens and applicants eligible under Schedule A authority.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Background investigation required.
DUTIES:Back to top
The incumbent leads the development, implementation, and evaluation of national or international communication and marketing programs, projects, and strategies. Oversees development and management of contracts and/or task orders and requests for proposals. Directs and guides the development, testing, and timely dissemination of science- and audience-based products, tools, and messages to a variety of audiences. Provides assistance and training on the translation and dissemination of internal and external groups. Prepares message materials for campaigns or program work for professional audiences and the news media. Presents health communication briefings. Provides expert consultation in the creation of strategic and integrated plans and strategies for public health communication and marketing programs, campaigns, and activities. Conducts research and evaluation activities for health communication and marketing. Directs activities of a team by planning work to be accomplished, setting short term priorities, balancing, workload, and providing directions on a wide range of health communication and administrative issues. Represents management at meetings and other forums to convey programmatic direction. Collaborates with other teams to provide support related to health communication and marketing functions.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the next lower grade in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience providing technical assistance and consultation on communication and marketing strategies related to public health issues; and disseminating public health information to various audiences.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
7. Bargaining Unit Position: No
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Travel required with position: Yes, 5%
10. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: No
11. Research position: No
12. Promotion potential: No
13. Supervisory position: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
Type KSA'S here:
1. Knowledge of communication and marketing principles, methods, theories, practices, and techniques
2. Knowledge of public health programs
3. Knowledge of research or evaluation methods related to health communication and marketing activities.
4. Skill in oral communication.
5. Skill in written communication.