Job Title:Health System Specialist (Staff Assistant to Medical Center Director)
Department:Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency:Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Job Announcement Number:VHA-652-13-PAD-888039
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, May 15, 2013 to
Tuesday, May 28, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Richmond, VA United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Current permanent employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs|
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 888039 (Include on all documents)
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
VA Encourages Persons with Disabilities to Apply
- U.S. Citizenship
- Designated and-or random drug testing required
- Background and-or security investigation required
- Time-in-grade requirements must be met by closing date
DUTIES:Back to top
The Health System Specialist is assigned to the Office of the Director at the McGuire VA Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia. The incumbent performs a variety of duties in a complex (level 1a) VAMC, which is constantly evolving within a highly complex and competitive geographic area. The incumbent serves as the Staff Assistant to the Medical Center Director and Strategic Planner. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Responsible for various assignments of a broad and comprehensive nature, designed to aid the Director in directing and evaluating the effectiveness of numerous programs and activities of the Medical Center such as development of policies, supervision, plan implementation, development of monitoring programs, data and program analysis, developing action plans to improve performance and effectiveness, providing information and guidance to program officials, and reporting results to local, network and central office leadership teams, and stakeholders as appropriate.
- Provides advisory services and high level management input into the most complex top management deliberations and decisions together with a corresponding high level of responsibility to participate in identifying and resolving the full range of complex management problems.
- Directs or coordinates studies/analyses covering a broad range of activities, including any aspect of the Medical Center operations with emphasis on complying with policy and resulting in improvements in the effectiveness and/or efficiency of medical center operations.
- Recognize and define operational weaknesses and to independently research and develop recommendations for change.
- Responsible for informing and advising senior leadership on the relevant metrics, information, data, and knowledge regarding the internal and external health care environment.
- Data collection, evaluation and reporting involved with comprehensive strategic planning at a complex medical center. The relative reports will involve the analysis and assimilation of many data points to project future health care needs regarding the access to and array of clinical services provided.
- Conducts studies of the appropriate space, staffing and support services needed to meet the needs of the Veteran population.
- Responsible for completing all strategic planning tasks to include but not limited to serving as Chair of the Strategic Planning Committee, completing the HCPM, collaborating on the SCIP submissions with engineering service and working with VISN and VACO planning personnel.
- Serves as a chair of major committees/subcommittees as the Director deems necessary for coordination of the Medical Center activities. This includes establishing and serving as the chair of the Medical Center Memorandum Committee. Requests statistical and background information for the committee(s) as needed for an established data base and a more informed decision.
- Provides day-to-day administrative support to the Director and performs investigative or follow-up duties and coordinates actions between other elements of the Medical Center.
- Serves as a liaison between the Director and certain VA and non-VA entities; chairs/coordinates/serves on task forces or project groups. Incumbent coordinates administrative activities for the Director.
- Serves as liaison for the Medical Center Director and the VISN. This includes VISN issues involving planning, new programs, resources, and support of VISN staff as requested. Prepares/reviews/coordinates agendas, Issue Briefs, and other information as needed on complex administrative and clinical issues. Also, responsible for coordination and monitoring of all services Annual Management Briefings.
- Represents and, when necessary, serves as spokesperson for the Medical Center in working with Congressional offices, VACO, VISN, VBA, facility officials, DoD facilities, non-VA organizations, including affiliated medical schools, national, state, and local organizations, Veteran Service Organizations, and consumer groups.
- Serves as the facilitator for briefings and reviews written and oral presentations from professional and administrative services and participates in formulation of the budget/staffing recommendations to the Director.
Incumbent must have broad in-depth knowledge, as well as special skills in administration and health care system management, which enables them to effectively carry out various management aspects of the position. The incumbent's recommendations and actions contribute to the development and maintenance of the functional efficiency of the medical center. The incumbent demonstrates a high level of loyalty, integrity, and trustworthiness.
Work schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Position Description Title/PD#: Health System Specialist (Staff Assistant to the Director), GS-671-13, PD#027340 (GS-671-12, #027430)
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status: Exempt
Supervisory Position: No.
Bargaining Unit Position: No
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Specialized Experience - At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 in Federal Service.
Specialized Experience - At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 in Federal Service.
This experience must demonstrate:
- ABILITY TO APPLY A COMPREHENSIVE KNOWLEDGE OF MEDICAL CENTER AND HEALTH CARE OPERATIONS, POLICIES, PRACTICES AND MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES TO ACHIEVE MEDICAL CENTER, VISN AND VHA GOALS.
- KNOWLEDGE OF THE PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF HEALTH CARE STRATEGIC PLANNING, RESOURCE ALLOCATION, VHA PERFORMANCE MEASURES, CAPITAL ASSETS PLANNING, CAPITAL ASSETS IMPLEMENTATION AND DATA MANAGEMENT.
- ABILITY TO INTERACT EFFECTIVELY WITH INDIVIDUALS AND GROUPS WITHIN AND OUTSIDE OF THE MEDICAL CENTER FROM A WIDE VARIETY OF EDUCATIONAL LEVELS, SOCIOECONOMIC BACKGROUNDS, DIVERGENT OPINIONS AND PRIORITIES BY APPLYING AN ASSORTMENT OF WRITTEN, ORAL AND VISUAL COMMUNICATION TECHNIQUES.
- ABILITY TO ACCESS, MANIPULATE AND INTERPRET A WIDE VARIETY OF DATA INCLUDING DEMOGRAPHICS, WORKLOAD, COSTS, COMPARISON BENCHMARKS AND TO APPLY A VARIETY OF QUANTITATIVE AND QUALITATIVE TECHNIQUES TO ANALYZE AND PRESENT WRITTEN AND ORAL REPORTS, PROPOSALS AND RECOMMENDATIONS.
SUBSTITUTING EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE
- The work is primarily sedentary, although some moderate physical effort may be required.
Unofficial transcripts are required whenever qualifying based on education. Education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. A transcript or course listing must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education. For more information on these qualification standards, please visit OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. *** If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. ***
In order to meet time-in-grade for this position, individuals who have held a Federal non-temporary General Schedule appointment within the previous 52 weeks must have held the GS-11 grade or higher for one year.
In order to meet time-in-grade for this position, individuals who have held a Federal non-temporary General Schedule appointment within the previous 52 weeks must have held the GS-12 grade or higher for one year.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
After the vacancy announcement closes, applications will be evaluated against the questionnaire responses to insure that you meet the minimum qualification requirements and that your application reflects the knowledges, skills, and abilities required of the position.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You may upload the completed form to your USAJOBS or Application Manager account if you apply online. Then you can use the uploaded form again and again when applying for future vacancies. Please see this guide ( http://www4.va.gov/OHRM/joblistings/uploading-and-using-documents-online.doc ) for more information on uploading and re-using the form in your applications. Other required forms and documents can also be saved in your account and used the same way. Applicants are urged to apply online; this process is much easier and faster.
Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application, just reapply through your account in USAJOBS. Check your account ( https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login ) to see the status of your application after applying, including any messages that may have been sent to you.
If you cannot apply online:
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire: View Occupational Questionnaire.
- Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire: http://www.opm.gov./forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf .
- Fax the completed 1203FX form along with all supporting documents to (478)757-3144. Your 1203FX form must be placed on top of all materials being faxed and will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
- Keep a copy of your fax receipt in case verification is needed.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload:
- Complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following Vacancy ID: 888039. You must use this fax cover sheet in order for your documents to be matched with your online application.
- Fax your documents to (478)757-3144.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Tuesday, May 28, 2013.
The following documents are required:
- Detailed Resume
- Declaration of Federal Employment OF 306 (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf) (all applicants except current Richmond VAMC employees)
- Current Federal employees must submit a copy of their most recent performance appraisal.
- Transfer/Reinstatement Eligibles must submit a copy of their latest/last Notification of Personnel Action SF-50B.
- Responses to the Occupational Questionnaire
- Veterans eligibility documentation such as DD-214 or equivalent, SF-15 and VA Letters, as appropriate.
NOTE: Your resume should include month/year "from' and "to" information for each position held.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After the vacancy announcement closes and a referral certificate is issued, an electronic notification letter - or e-mail - will be sent to applicants who provide an e-mail address. Otherwise, you will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service within 2 to 4 weeks.