Join a dedicated workforce committed to a vital mission: safeguarding the public, protecting natural resources, strengthening the economy. A career that makes a world of difference! NESDIS is looking for great people to manage our world-class operations. Our satellites monitor US and global weather conditions and we also have three world-class data centers. The data from NESDIS satellites help save lives and resources. Come be a part of NESDIS!
This position is located in National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Office of Satellite and Product Operations (OSPO) in Suitland, MD. This position will be filled under the DOC Alternative Personnel System (CAPS). This system replaced the Federal GS pay plan and structure. Under CAPS, positions are classified by career, pay plan, and pay band. The ZP-2 is equivalent to the GS-7/9 and the ZP-3 is equivalent to the GS-11/12. This position is also being advertised as an IT Specialist ZP-2210-2/3, under vacancy announcement number NSDIS-OSPO-2013-0014 (status). You must apply separately under each announcement to be considered for each announcement.
Salary ranges: ZP-2 is $45,872 - $73,917 ZP-3 is $62,467 - $97,333
Payment of relocation expenses is NOT authorized.
A one-year probationary period may be required.
This is a non-bargaining position.
The individual selected for this position will:
- Coordinate planning, acquisition and ordering of Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) imagery for operational use at the National Ice Center (NIC);
- Plan, schedule and track SAR data acquisitions from multiple satellite ground stations; maintain a database to reflect status of imagtes ordered and received;
- Ensure all procedures, documentation, and backup plans supporting emergency satellite data acquisitions are in place;
- Plan and implement emerging computer and communication technologies related to SAR and maintain an updated Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for the SAR data order desk;
- Serve as Contracting Officer Representative (COR) to execute government contracting processes—from defining initial requirements for SAR data to effective post-award performance management of SAR contracts;
- Work with NIC Ice Analyst to successfully order geographically acceptable SAR imagery for meeting NOAA’s mission objective of distributing real-time ice information products and services to customers.