Basic Qualifications for AD-0696 (Consumer Safety Officer): Applicants must possess a degree that includes at least 30 semester hours in one or a combination of the following: biological sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly related to consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours can include up to 8 semester hours in statistics, or course work that included the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming OR combination of education and experience -- courses consisting of at least 30 semester hours in the fields of study described above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition, applicants must possess a Ph. D. or other earned doctorate in a scientific field related to the position to be filled.
Mandatory Technical Qualifications
In addition to specialized experience, applicants must possess the following technical qualifications that represent the knowledge, skills, and abilities essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position:
1. Senior level experience as a leader in a complex organization in planning, directing, and evaluating multidisciplinary activities of significant scope and effect.
2. Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships among people and organizations with diverse interest and/or opinions, including regulated industry, professional or public health, advocacy consumer organizations, other Federal, State or local agencies, foreign governments, and the Congress.
3. Ability to supervise a professional staff engaged in providing policy advice to senior officials.
It is desired that you have:
1. Training, professional development, and outside professional activities that provide evidence of initiative, resourcefulness and potential for effective job performance at a senior level and honors, awards, or other recognition for performance or contributions related to the position.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluation by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/.
Candidates must show clear evidence of specialized experience. Specialized experience is that which is directly related to the position and which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include senior level experience in consumer safety.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements as outlined above to be eligible for further consideration. You must provide detailed evidence of the experience, knowledge, skill, ability, and other personal characteristic requirements and show how and when they were used. This evidence must include clear, concise examples that show level of accomplishment and degree of responsibility. Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses may be paid.
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: Yes
10. Recruitment or Relocation Incentive may be authorized: May Be Authorized.