Washington Headquarters Services (WHS)
Facilities Services Directorate (FSD)
Federal Facilities Division (Operations)
Pentagon Heating & Refrigeration Plant
The Facilities Services Directorate (FSD) of the Washington Headquarters Services is a field activity of the Department of Defense. FSD employees support a customer base of about 64,000 civilian and military personnel, including the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Defense Agencies, and the military departments in the National Capital Region. Customers occupying 16,000,000 square feet of office space are housed in the Pentagon and 140 other federal and commercial buildings in the Washington Metropolitan area. FSD provides administrative and operational support to specified DoD activities, including space management, maintenance, repair and alteration of assigned buildings, custodial services, landscape maintenance, trash and debris removal, building operations, construction management, property management, and other support services. For more information see: http://www.whs.mil/FSD
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: This announcement is open to: All U.S Citizens; Current or Former Permanent Competitive Status Federal Employees; Displaced employees (Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan - ICTAP eligible) within the Local Commuting Area; and individuals eligible for the following Special Appointing Authorities approved by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM): Veterans with a disability rating of 30% or more, Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) Eligible Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. (Click on the links for more information regarding eligibility for these special appointment authorities: www.opm.gov/employ/veterans/html/vetguide.asp#6 or www.opm.gov/disability.)
As a Supervisory Utility Systems Repairer Operator you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Supervising personnel responsible for the operation and maintenance of equipment in the Pentagon Heating and Refrigeration Plant (PHRP). Personnel supervised include Utility System Repairer Operators.
- Administering the Department of Defense (DoD) administrative instructions and policies to promote, train, evaluate and discipline subordinates when necessary.
- Assisting with and plans long-range operation and maintenance work schedules; determines the type and amount of personnel and equipment required on a long-range basis (year to year) and makes adjustments to in-house workforce account personnel in accordance with fluctuations in the workload from contact to force account and vice versa.
- Managing the assignment of work orders, projects, preventive maintenance or activities, including checking the work of subordinates to ensure the meeting of quality standards, production quotas, and time deadlines.
- Testing for Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) hazards. Incumbent is required to have good knowledge, skills, and ability, as 1st Responders, to be aware of all responses to attacks via water or air, in coordination with other Government organizations.
- Coordinating, testing, evaluating, and operating electrical systems in parallel to assure compatibility and operability of new systems and equipment while assuring no interruption of existing service to the Pentagon Reservation or damage to existing systems.
- Preparing and/or directing the preparation of procedures for the proper maintenance of equipment including steps for proper shutdown and isolation (lockout/tag out), lay-up, release for maintenance work, switching of related electrical equipment, and ensures that confined space permit procedures and all safety standards are established and followed.
- Reviewing digital computer operations and is knowledgeable of the functioning of computerized distributed control systems.
- Operating a variety of all plant systems and equipment including large centrifugal chillers, boilers, heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC), and high voltage electrical distribution systems.