This opportunity is also open to all US citizens under announcement DFM-2013-0004.
If you are intrigued by the idea of working at a unique federal agency that has a tremendous impact on the funding and advancement of science, engineering and education, then the National Science Foundation is the place for you. In addition to funding research in traditional academic areas, NSF also supports innovative ideas, novel collaborations and numerous projects that may seem like science fiction today, but become the reality of tomorrow.
NSF has the advantages of a small agency environment that fosters collaboration, creativity and opportunities to contribute to major agency-wide projects. Consistently ranked by its employees as one of the top federal agencies in managing its workforce, NSF maintains a creative, flexible, and collegial atmosphere and is respected in both the federal and scientific arenas for its work in promoting science, technology, education and management best practices. Join our team at one of the best places to work in the federal government and use your knowledge and imagination to keep NSF at the frontier of discovery!
More about NSF.
This position is located in the Financial Systems Branch (FSB), Division of Financial Management (DFM), Office of Budget, Finance, and Award Management (BFA). FSB is responsible for the design, development, testing, implementation, operations, and inspection of the core financial management system, its sub-systems and any interfaces to and from the core financial management system, external and internal. The branch maintains internal controls for the core financial system and its interfaces and ensures the integration and integrity of the system; develops new financial reports used by all levels of program management to assist managers in achieving the most effective utilization of program resources and for continuing study, revision, improvement, or replacement of the entire financial management system of the Foundation.
The Systems Accountant is the Foundation's subject matter expert and consultant to the top agency management officials on transitioning to a new financial management system and on the existing core financial management system, its sub-systems, and interfaces, and the financial reporting databases. Specific duties include the following Financial Management Systems Modernization:
- Develops, analyzes, and conducts studies for addressing complex and critical system integration procedures and issues involving financial management systems.
- Develops and/or reviews data clean up and data conversion strategy in support of the financial systems modernization effort.
- Designs and/or reviews the account code structure for enhancements to the existing financial system, transition and the new financial management system.
- Coordinates upgrades and enhancements to the new financial management system and its interfaces.
- Designs new financial reporting applications and databases and queries to meet users' reporting needs.
- Develops and/or evaluates requirements for new financial management systems.
- Develops guidance and metrics for measuring success and continuous improvement of the existing core financial management system and the new financial management system, its interfaces, and reporting databases.
- Performs financial system data extraction, analysis, data manipulation and interpretation.
- Supports the annual audit process by creating new financial reporting databases and/or modifying existing financial reporting procedures.
- Develops and maintains security and contingency plans for the core financial management system and the financial reporting databases.