Job Title: Biologist (Bioinformatics) - NIAID - MPJob Announcement Number: NIH-NIAID-MP-13-878923
Department: Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency: National Institutes of Health
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, May 13, 2013 to
Friday, May 17, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
Agency Employees Only
1 vacancy in the following location:
Montgomery County, MD United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Current permanent Title 5 NIAID employees and individuals eligible under CTAP only.
Apply to National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) now and work with some of the most talented investigators in this country and abroad who are committed to improving global health in the 21st century. Make a difference in the lives of millions. Your individual talents are needed as we assimilate unprecedented funding and mobilize science to protect public health.
This position is located in the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Vaccine Research Center (VRC).
- Time in grade met within 30 days of closing date.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
DUTIES:Back to top
If selected for this position, you will serve as an expert specialist and technical advisor for a variety of duties and functions involving the field of bioinformatics. Specifically, you will:
- Serve as an expert resource within NIAID on bioinformatics solutions to the compilation, storage, retrieval, analysis, and dissemination of biomedical research information;
- Coordinate and integrate activities of the technical IT and contract staff, scientific program staff and administrative offices pertaining to the exploration, acquisition, development, and implementation of bioinformatics tools and applications;
- Develop new user interfaces for deep sequencing analysis pipeline development of T and B cell receptor sequence databases;
- Develop and implement new and existing tools for analysis of whole genome deep sequencing data;
- Conduct comprehensive evaluations and assessments of the effectiveness of bioinformatics proposals and solutions to provide findings, conclusions, and recommendations to technical and program staff; and
- Provide state-of-the-art research and bioinformatics support as a member of the PI's research team, in the form of development, modification, and utilization of bioinformatics applications.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Basic Qualification Requirements for the GS-0401 series:
A. Successful completion of a full 4 year course of study in a accredited college or university leading to a Bachelor's degree (or graduate) in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry or a related discipline appropriate to the position being filled;
B. Combination of education and experience--Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic qualification requirements indicated above, you must meet the additional experience requirement as described below:
You must demonstrate in your resume at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal Service service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: applying statistics and information technology concepts to develop new methods and tools for searching and analyzing research data; conducting analysis of data using high performance computing clusters; working with bioinformaticians at other institutions to test and develop sequencing data analysis pipelines; and serving as a mentor to graduate students on the use of bioinformatic tools in the conduct of research.
View Assessment Questions
This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package; however, official transcripts will be required prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education . If you are currently or were previously in this occupation series you do not need to submit transcripts. Instead, submit an SF-50 showing the appointment in this occupational series.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with Selective Service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED: