The United States Postal Service Office of Inspector General's (USPS OIG) mission is to provide reports to Postal Service Executives, the Board of Governors, and Congress to help the Postal Service maximize revenues (over $65 billion a year), minimize costs, and prevent and detect fraud, waste, abuse and mismanagement.
The USPS OIG is seeking a highly qualified applicant to fill our Business Analyst position in the Strategic Planning and Analytics, (Data Mining) Team located in Arlington, VA. The candidate will support the operations of the data mining team and serve as a trouble-shooter, providing advice and guidance on problems not susceptible to treatment by accepted methods. The candidate will also evaluate policies within the data mining program areas, taking or recommending actions to achieve organizational objectives, and recommending future program objectives and improvements.
Candidates will be evaluated on the skills that they possess that are directly related to the duties of the position and/or the experience, education and training that indicate the applicant's ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position. Only those candidates who meet all qualification and eligibility requirements and who submit a complete application package by 11:59 PM EST on Friday, May 24, 2013 will be considered.
The USPS OIG uses a Pay Banding system, which is equivalent to the Federal GS scale. Grade and salary determinations will be made based upon a candidate's education and professional experience.
This position is being advertised at the Journey Band level, equivalent to a GS-9 through a GS-13. The salary range for this position is $51,630 - $115,742. The salary figures include locality pay. Promotion potential to a GS-13 at management's discretion.
Relocation expenses will not be paid.
Please note that the duties and responsibilities associated with this position may vary based upon the agency's needs at the time of hire. The following description of major duties and responsibilities is only intended to give applicants a general overview of the expectations.
- Conducts detailed analyses of complex functions and work processes of broad administrative or technical programs and makes recommendations for improvement in the effectiveness and efficiency of work operations.
- Identifies and analyzes data and information from multiple sources, internal and external, to help support fraud, waste and abuse analytics programs.
- Routinely shifts priorities in order to meet the needs while balancing the implementation of continually changing resource exigencies.
- Investigates and evaluates the feasibility of implementing new processes to enhance customer satisfaction.
- Assists with special projects, personally or through team members. Coordinate and participate in regular teleconference calls, meetings and communications between the field, Headquarters, and other parties.
- Assists with identifying analytic tools that support data mining efforts.
- Collects and analyzes data using a variety of tools, techniques, and methods. Identifies problems and issues that require further study or remedial action based on the results of various analyses.