Vacancy ID: 884855
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service.
If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans. The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define who we are, our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence (I CARE).
America's Veterans need you!
To find out more, go to http://www.va.gov/jobs/.
This position involves a multi-grade career ladder. The major duties listed below represent the full performance level of WG-9. At the WG-7 and WG-8 grade levels, you will perform assignments of a more limited scope and with less independence. You will progressively acquire the background necessary to perform at the full performance level of WG-9. Promotion is at the discretion of the supervisor and is contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of higher level work, and availability of funds.
This position is located within the Building Maintenance Unit of the Engineering Department at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Buffalo, NY.
Major duties and responsibilities include:
- Measures, cuts, constructs or repairs wood or wood substitute items such as scaffolding, staging parts, panels, bins pallets, concrete forms, clay walls, and roof decking;
- Measures, cuts, constructs, installs, repairs, and modifies wood, composite, and wood substitute materials to provide a serviceable product;
- Measures, cuts, constructs, installs, repairs, and modifies simple frame structures, decks, partitions, shelves, doors, forms, siding, and scaffolding, etc;\
- Measures, cuts, constructs, installs, repairs, and modifies routine mill work, framing, benches, partitions, tables, etc;
- Operates and uses hand and power tools: saws, hammers, drills, routers, planes, power nails, glue guns, power saws, sanders, and planes, etc;
- Operates and uses various nails, screws, bonding materials and specialized fasteners;
- Operates and uses tools to prevent splitting, chipping, and splintering of materials;
- Plans and completes projects which involve constructing, altering, repairing, and/or modifying framework, rafters, doors, finished paneling, windows, rough furniture, interior/exterior trim, staircases, trusses and beams;
- Plans, measures, and lays out carpentry materials using general knowledge of wood materials and substitutes and general woodworking technique;
- Plans, measures, and lays out carpentry projects according to detailed, sketches, blueprints, or instructions;
- Applies building codes
- Builds walls, partitions and dust barriers from metal studs, wood, drywall, and plastic;
- Repairs and installs cabinets, bookcases, picture frames, doors/frames, suspended ceilings, vinyl floor tile, louvers, scaffolds, bulletin boards, railings, etc;
- Repairs windows, screens, carts and chairs;
- Installs miscellaneous operating fixtures such as soap and towel dispensers, and window coverings;
- Repairs standard locking devices and associated hardware;
- Accurately keys and rekeys locks, using accuracy in selecting correct key blank to duplicate or make new keys, and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm
***RELOCATION EXPENSES AND/OR INCENTIVES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED***