Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce.
Who May Apply
- All U.S. Citizens
- For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here
- This position opportunity is also being advertised under Merit Promotion Procedures. Please see vacancy announcement number MG-2013-02697-EAH-887447MP for additional information.
This position is ideal for Utility System Repairer Operators looking to work in an operation that is crucial to the emergency response capability of the Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center (MWEOC). This position starts at a salary of $25.32 per hour (WG-10), with promotion potential to $27.98 per hour (WG-12). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Control Room in the DHS/FEMA, MWEOC, Operations and Maintenance Division, Facility Management Branch, Repair and Monitoring Section.
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: Future promotions will be dependent on your ability to perform the duties at a higher level, the continuing need for an employee assigned to the higher level, and administrative approval.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: For all nonbargaining unit positions, the following applies: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
In this position, you will become a key member of a team of Utility Systems Repairer Operators. You will ensure the operation, integrity, reliability, and availability of critical utility systems. This is a developmental position with promotion potential to the WG-12. Typical work assignments at the full performance level include:
- Independently performing technical work of a high degree of difficulty requiring the exercise of originality, initiative, and practical judgment in the application and adaptation of standardized engineering techniques and methods.
- Operating, maintaining, installing, and repairing heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration systems to provide specific and critical environmental conditions in special purpose facilities.
- Operating and monitoring Building Management Control Systems (BCMS) which monitor and control the environment in nearly all buildings at Mount Weather.
- Serving as an electrical power controller for the MWEOC power generation and distribution system.
- Operating, maintaining, installing, and repairing diesel power generation equipment necessary to provide continuous electrical power to critical facilities and activities.