The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is dedicated to achieving the highest standards of excellence in motor vehicle and highway safety. The agency strives to exceed the expectations of its customers through its core values of Integrity, Service and Leadership. Save lives, prevent injuries and reduce economic costs due to road traffic crashes, through education, research, safety standards and enforcement activity. Work for NHTSA.
This position serves as a Mathematical Statistician in the National Center for Statistics and Analysis (NCSA) Office of Traffic Records and Analysis (OTRA). In this capacity, you will plan and execute analyses designed to improve quantitative knowledge of the causes and results of motor vehicle traffic crashes, and in the development and implementation new and improved ways of using mathematical and statistical techniques in the measurement of highway traffic safety.
The ideal candidate for this position is highly self-motivated and possesses excellent mathematical and statistical analytical capabilities. The ideal candidate has excellent oral and written communication skills, since they will be writing analysis reports. NHTSA is seeking a candidate capable of working cooperatively with other offices within NHTSA, to understand countermeasures using extensive crash data bases. Experience working with large data bases and experience working with SAS programming is preferred.
The Mathematical Statistician:
- Plans, and executes analyses designed to improve quantitative knowledge of the causes and results of motor vehicle traffic crashes, and in the development and implementation new and improved ways of using mathematical and statistical techniques in the measurement of highway traffic safety.
- Is responsible for preparing clear and accurate reports of the study results including recommendations for improving the data collection process or methods of compensating for existing data limitations, as appropriate.
- Prepares and delivers briefings and technical papers to management and users both within and outside NHTSA.
- Maintains a familiarity with field data collection procedures, data retrieval and techniques, and computer software analysis packages in order to perform specialized data retrievals.
- Develops specifications and plans and performs the work within NHTSA and NCSA policy guidelines.
- Prepares work statements, evaluates contract proposals, chairs source evaluation committees, and monitors contracts.