Are you looking for a job where you can make a difference? Interested in working in a dynamic, small-agency environment? At NSF, every member of the team contributes to success! That's just one of the reasons why NSF, conveniently located in the heart of Ballston, is one of the best places to work in the federal government. Due to its relatively small number of employees, NSF has a unique feeling of collegiality. It is not uncommon to hear colleagues discuss a wide variety of subjects from our newest work- life initiatives to the latest scientific, engineering, and education developments.
At NSF, you will use your Student Trainee (Administrative Support Assistant) expertise in an exciting, challenging, and team-oriented environment. You will have the opportunity to use your current skills to help make NSF's vision of the future become a reality. NSF also offers a variety of formal and informal learning and development opportunities that you can use to build new skills and advance your career. If you're seeking variety and challenge in a collegial atmosphere, look no further than NSF! More about NSF.
This is an opportunity under the Internship Program component of the Pathways Programs. The Internship Program provides students enrolled in high schools, colleges, trade schools and other qualifying educational institutions with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while completing their education. Veteran's Preference will be applied in filling positions under the Pathways Programs.
This announcement is for a Student Trainee (Administrative Support Assistant).
Eligible students must be enrolled at least half-time in an accredited academic institution and maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher.
- Students can be hired for Internship positions at any time during the year.
- Students typically work part-time during the school year and full-time during the summer, winter, and spring vacations.
- Students will be on indefinite appointments during their period of eligibility under the Internship Program.
- Interns will be required to sign an agreement that outlines the parameters of the Internship Program during employment with NSF.
- The Internship Program allows students an opportunity to be converted non-competitively to a career-conditional or term position once the student completes all requirements of the Internship Program.
- Noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term position is not guaranteed. The Intern’s eligibility for conversion does not guarantee that the agency will opt for conversion.
National Science Foundation is seeking an Student Trainee (Administrative Support Assistant). Specific duties include the following:
General Office Support
Receives visitors and screens phone calls. Sorts and distributes mail. Receives, controls, and tracks all correspondence and documents. Serves as a liaison with other NSF organizations when setting schedules, coordinating activities, and obtaining and providing information. Assists with managing calendars and scheduling appointments. Handles arrangements for meetings. Establishes, organizes, and maintains files. Creates, maintains, and distributes documents and records. Serves as primary timekeeper. Assists with preparation of purchase orders and requisitions. Assists in coordinating equipment and telephone repairs. Assists with providing logistical support for committee meetings.
Utilizes Fed Traveler to arrange domestic and foreign official travel. Prepares travel authorizations and expense reports. Obtains hotel and transportation reservations. Coordinates meetings and appointments. Prepares Guest Travel documents.