This position may be filled by a Psychologist; Physician (Psychiatrist); Nurse; Social Worker; or Health Science Officer.
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) T881265
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Whether you drive, fly, or walk to Waco, you are guaranteed a fun visit in the heartland of Texas. Situated on the I-35 corridor between Dallas and Austin, Waco's the place to stop for scores of shops and restaurants galore. Waco offers some major attractions, five historic homes, seven recreational venues, and nine arts organizations. It is the birthplace of Dr. Pepper, the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. Waco is also brimming with Texas history, economic opportunity, and a rich variety of cultural experiences. With three college facilities, Baylor University, Texas State Technical College and McLennan Community College, Waco is also a seat of higher learning! NO STATE TAXES!!!
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
NOTE: The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidates education and experience and recommend the step at which the candidate will be placed in that specific grade. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are authorized for this position.
The Department of Veterans Affairs offers Permanent Change of Station (PCS) relocation services. Permanent Change of Station is the relocation of a household due to government convenience in connection with a transfer between duty stations or facilities. For more information go to http://vaww.fscdirect.fsc.va.gov/pcs.asp.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentive may be authorized.
You will serve as the Director of the Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) 17 Center of Excellence (CoE) for Research on Returning War Veterans, with full programmatic authority for all professional, management and administrative aspects of the CoE. You will oversee and direct CoE research projects, educational programs, and clinical demonstration programs. The Director conducts relevant scientific research and is a recognized expert with a national and/or international reputation in the area of mental health research.
Administrative Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervisory responsibility for subordinates and responsibility for all professional, management, and administrative aspects of the CoE.
- Organizing work, setting priorities, delegating tasks, and meeting multiple deadlines.
- Responsibility for the strategic development, implementation, staffing, budgeting and overall leadership of the CoE.
- Ensuring that all research activities have been reviewed and approved by the relevant VA Institutional Review Boards and Research Committees.
- Ensuring staff members follow requirements for performance of duties at VA work sites or approved alternatives and appropriate documentation is available.
- Ensuring records of attendance and leave follow Veterans Health Administration (VHA) requirements.
- Maintaining relationships that facilitate collaborative work with staff and other programs/centers, as well as resolving conflicts.
- Communicating goals, objectives and priorities to subordinate staff.
- Providing budget formation, justification and execution; financial management; and financial reporting.
- Managing organizational changes throughout the CoE and approving the allocation and distribution of funds in the CoE's budget.
Research Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engaging in and supporting scientific research programs, including accomplishing the scientific review and evaluation process for the research programs.
- Developing policies, procedures and criteria for administration of the CoE Research program.
- Promoting research initiatives designed to provide information regarding program planning and relevant treatment approaches.
- Providing structured mentorship for developing research professionals within the CoE and collaborators across the nation.
- Maintaining the CoE research focus on returning war Veterans in order to be maximally useful to current and future generations of Veterans and their families returning from conflict.
- Serving as Principal Director in writing and obtaining grants from VA and external funding sources.
- Developing effective collaborations with academic partners, VA and other research agencies.
Clinical Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Arranging and ensuring discipline-specific oversight for all clinical care delivered by other disciplines' staff and trainees not yet independently licensed.
- Providing professional advice and consultation in areas related to professional practice and evidence-based interventions.
Academic/Teaching/Training Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Holding an appointment as an Associate or Full Professor at Texas A&M Health Science Center, College of Medicine.
- Involvement in the facility Psychology Training Programs and Training Committee.
- Providing mental health research leadership and mentoring.