The National Science Board (NSB, the Board), was established by the Congress in 1950 to serve both as an independent national science policy body and to oversee and guide the activities of the National Science Foundation (NSF). It has dual responsibilities to (a) provide national science policy advice to the President and the Congress, and (b) establish policies for the NSF. The Board oversees NSF as it carries out its statutory responsibility to maintain the health of the Nation's science and engineering enterprise by funding research in all the basic sciences and engineering.
The National Science Board Office (NSBO) supports the NSB and is the focal point for coordinating the development and analysis of policy-level issues and strategies requiring Board attention and/or action.
NSBO is seeking candidates who are interested in supporting the mission and work of the National Science Board.
The incumbent will serve as a member of the NSBO administrative management team and provide comprehensive administrative and operational support, to include:
- Operations and Management Analysis- analyzes and evaluates, on a quantitative or qualitative basis, the effectiveness of administrative operations in meeting established goals and objectives.
- Budgetary and Financial Program Management- Tracks, monitors, process, and documents obligations and expenditures (salaries, benefits, travel, contracts and expenses) from the NSB appropriation and Funds (Trust and Representation); prepares budget projections, long-range cost estimates and budget status reports.
- Procurement and Acquisition Management –Prepares, reviews and issues solicitation documents to procure supplies or services and monitors contract period of performance and funding levels. Work with contractors and staff members to resolve payment issues, etc.
- Meeting and Events Management-Plans, organizes and directs operations in support of scheduled NSB meetings and events.
- Travel and Transportation Management- Prepares and reviews travel authorizations and expense reports and ensure per diem, travel and transportation expenses of NSB members, NSBO staff and invitational travelers are allowable and accurate prior to approval.