Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: Geological Survey
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
Portland, OR, USView Map
All qualified U.S. citizens who meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described below.
Are you a current student looking for a position in the Federal workforce that will provide you with valuable experience related to your academic or career goals? If you answered "yes" to this question, then this is the job for you! Come join the USGS and start doing the job you've always dreamed of.
Will Travel and Relocation Expenses be Paid? NO
What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
This position is being filled under the Pathways Internship Program which is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore Federal careers while still in school.
Students who successfully complete the internship program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent appointment or a term (1-4 years in duration) appointment without further competition.
If converted to a permanent or term appointment, the anticipated target position will be Hydrologic Technician; however, the target position may change based on the need of the organization at that time. Interns must meet the qualification requirements for the position to which converted.
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- you must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); and
- enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved homeschool; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum; and
- students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis; and
- the duties of this position should be related to your academic or career goals.
You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program.
Why Is It Great To Work For The USGS?
Embark on an exciting future! From the peaks of the highest mountains to the depths of the deepest seas, the U.S. Geological Survey has career opportunities that make a difference in both the lives of others and in the environment. Would you like to join the more than 10,000 scientists, technicians, and support staff of the USGS who are working in more than 400 locations throughout the United States? Apply today! As the Nation's largest water, earth, and biological science and civilian mapping agency, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) collects, monitors, analyzes, and provides scientific understanding about natural resource conditions, issues, and problems. The diversity of our scientific expertise enables us to carry out large-scale, multi-disciplinary investigations and provide impartial, timely, and relevant scientific information to resource managers, planners, and other customers related to: the health of our ecosystems and environment; natural hazards that threaten us; natural resources we rely on, and; the impact of climate and land-use changes. For more information about the USGS please visit http://www.usgs.gov.
There is one vacancy; however, this announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies if they become available.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- The entire period served under the Intern Program counts as a trial period.
- Overnight travel of 1-10 nights per month may be required.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.