Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services secures America's promise as a nation of immigrants by providing accurate and useful information to our customers, granting immigration and citizenship benefits, promoting an awareness and understanding of citizenship, and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system. Visit us at http://www.uscis.gov/.
This is a part-time, TEMPORARY Student Internship opportunity, Not-to-Exceed September 30, 2013, under the Pathways Intern Program.
Organizational Location: These positions are located in the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, Service Center Operations Directorate, California Service Center, Laguna Niguel, CA.
Relocation Expenses: USCIS will not pay your relocation expenses.
This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This position is not considered "essential" for purposes of reporting to work when the facility might otherwise be closed.
Note: USCIS may fill one or more positions using this vacancy.
General office skills are required with an emphasis on Microsoft's Office Suite that includes Word, Excel and Access. The position(s) under this announcement deals with Financial Management and Customer Service Support. An applicant with a background or course history relating to Financial Management/Accounting, Business, Public Administration, and/or Database management would benefit from this work experience.
As a Student Trainee (Pathways Intern NTE), your duties will include:
- Perform functions in a variety of tracking systems, databases and online tools especially those in the Microsoft Office applications (such as Word, Excel, and Access).
- Analyze and report data pertaining to the use of financial systems, procurement and others.
- Analyze data and business processes and recommend automation if that can improve quality or efficiency.
- Produce job aids/guides to improve internal processes or for customer utilization.
- Provide clerical and office automation support to staff members including file a variety of materials, answer telephones and greet visitors.
- Properly utilize desk-top computers, scanners, printers, and related equipment to produce, store, retrieve, and edit drafts of a variety of document types (e.g., reports, memoranda, letters, spreadsheets, graphs, etc.).
Ideal candidates for these internships are individuals pursuing undergraduate or graduate degree programs in Business Administration, Public Administration or Management. Candidates will be considered on the basis of the applicability of their education and experience to specific USCIS assignments.