Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services secures America's promise as a nation of immigrants by providing accurate and useful information to our customers, granting immigration and citizenship benefits, promoting an awareness and understanding of citizenship, and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system. Visit us at http://www.uscis.gov/.
Every day, our Security Specialists complete adjudicative determinations on background investigations for applicants, employees and contractors who are seeking employment with, or on behalf of the agency.
This position of SECURITY SPECIALIST starts at a salary of $47,448.00(GS-09 step 1), with promotion potential to $106,369 (GS-13 step 10). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the MANAGEMENT DIRECTORATE OFFICE OF SECURITY AND INTEGRITY, SOUTH BURLINGTON, VERMONT within DHS US Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Note: The purpose of this notice is to recruit candidates for full-time term positions. Competition is open to all individuals who feel they can meet the qualification requirements identified in this vacancy announcement. Term appointment is not-to-exceed thirteen months; however, it may be extended up to a total of four years without further competition. Selectee(s) for the term position, if currently holding a career or career-conditional appointment, is NOT guaranteed return rights to their former position at the expiration date of the appointment. Please note that if you are offered a term appointment and decline, your name will be removed from further consideration under this announcement. Term employees are eligible to earn leave and generally have the same benefits as permanent employees including health and life insurance, within-grade increases and Federal Employees Retirement System and Thrift Savings Plan coverage.
For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here
USCIS will not pay relocation expenses.
This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This position is not considered "essential" for purposes of reporting to work when the facility might otherwise be closed.
Note: USCIS may fill one or more positions using this vacancy.
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence, and limited complexity.
As a Security Specialist, within the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Office of Security and Integrity, Personnel Security Division, the position requires the assessment and adjudication of background investigations for applicants, employees, and contractors. Your primary duties will include the following:
- Independently review background investigations and make decisions regarding suitability for federal employment, fitness for performance under contract with the federal government, or eligibility for a security clearance. Interpret and apply suitability factors and security adjudicative guidelines when making adjudicative decision or adverse action recommendations for suitability, fitness, and security clearance eligibility.
- Review background investigations and other documents to ensure that all required information is provided and request missing information when needed.
- Ensure all required information is present in background investigations for the appropriate adjudicative decision.
- Able to identify the presence or absence of derogatory information and evaluate all the information to make a final determination.
- Prepare well written correspondence to include, but not limited to, letters of interrogatories, case summaries, eligibility notifications, and notices of adverse actions.
- Contact with or issue written correspondence to individuals, outside entities or other government agencies for additional information.
- Review correspondence from individuals, outside entities, and other government agencies.
- Manages workflow to ensure timely processing of cases to ensure compliance with government performance and accountability requirements.
- Keeping team lead or management abreast of recurring problems or systemic deficiencies.