Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services secures America's promise as a nation of immigrants by providing accurate and useful information to our customers, granting immigration and citizenship benefits, promoting an awareness and understanding of citizenship, and ensuring the integrity of our immigration system. Visit us at http://www.uscis.gov/.
Every day, our Security Assistants provide complex technical and administrative support assistance to the Personnel Security Division (PSD). This position of SECURITY ASSISTANT starts at a salary of $31,315.00(GS-05 step 1), with promotion potential to $50,431.00 (GS-07 step 10). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the MANAGEMENT DIRECTORATE, OFFICE OF SECURITY AND INTERITY, SOUTH BURLINGTON, VERMONT within DHS US Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Note: The purpose of this notice is to recruit candidates for full-time term positions. Competition is open to all individuals who feel they can meet the qualification requirements identified in this vacancy announcement. Term appointment is not-to-exceed thirteen months; however, it may be extended up to a total of four years without further competition. Selectee(s) for the term position, if currently holding a career or career-conditional appointment, are NOT guaranteed return rights to their former position at the expiration date of the appointment. Please note that if you are offered a term appointment and decline, your name will be removed from further consideration under this announcement. Term employees are eligible to earn leave and generally have the same benefits as permanent employees including health and life insurance, within-grade increases and Federal Employees Retirement System and Thrift Savings Plan coverage.
For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here
USCIS will not pay relocation expenses.
This position is not in the bargaining unit.
This position is not considered "essential" for purposes of reporting to work when the facility might otherwise be closed.
Note: USCIS may fill one or more positions using this vacancy.
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence, and limited complexity.
As a Security Assistant, within the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Office of Security and Integrity, Personnel Security Division who provides complex technical and administrative support assistance to the Personnel Security Division. Your primary duties will include the following:
- Provide technical and administrative support to the USCIS personnel security program.
- Gather information via standardized processes on individual's seeking access to DHS facilities or information systems, employment with the federal service, access to USCIS under a contract, and eligibility to access classified National Security Information.
- Review information provided by the individual, conduct checks in government and commercial databases, and contact outside entities concerning individuals.
- Identify issues within gathered information that requires additional development or review.
- Recommend individuals for access to DHS facilities or information systems, employment with the federal service, or access to USCIS under a contract.
- Contact individuals, outside entities or other government agencies for additional information. Prepares and issues written correspondence.
- Reviews correspondence from individuals, outside entities, and other government agencies. Manages workflow to ensure timely processing of cases to ensure compliance with government performance and accountability requirements.