In order to qualify for this position, applicants must either possess the specialized experience or Substitution of Education as stated below:
GS 9: Applicants must possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS 7 grade level or equivalent band level of responsibility in the federal service writing news articles or blogs on health, medicine and/or nutrition topics for a wire service (e.g., Associated Press, Bloomberg, Reuters) or news website or publication distributed nationally (i.e. USA TODAY, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, National Public Radio) or health oriented website for consumers (e.g., WebMD, Everyday Health, Family Doctor.org) under daily deadline pressure for a lay audience.
GS 11: Applicants must possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS 9 grade level or equivalent band level of responsibility in the federal service as a reporter covering health, medicine and/or nutrition topics for a wire service (e.g., Associated Press, Bloomberg, Reuters) or news website or publication distributed nationally (e.g., USATODAY, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, National Public Radio) or health oriented website for consumers (e.g., WebMD, Everyday Health, Family Doctor.org) producing articles and/or blogs under daily deadline pressure for a lay audience.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION:
GS 9: Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D., if related.
GS 11: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: NO
8. Bargaining Unit Position: NO
9. Drug Screening Required: NO
10. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Merit Promotion Procedures for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of two categories: Best Qualified or Qualified.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Ability to write and edit materials for print, web and social media.
2. Ability to complete work assignments with short deadlines and competing demands.
3. Ability to write about medical/scientific topics.