Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Food and Drug Administration, Office of the Commissioner, Office of Finance, Budget & Acquisitions, Office of Financial Operations, Office of Financial Management, Rockville, Maryland.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-FDA-MP-13-884876 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Who May Apply: Open to all United States Citizens.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions in multiple locations.
The incumbent of this position will perform a variety of accounting duties, utilizing a professional knowledge of accounting principles and procedures in carry out assignments. Specifically, the incumbent will:
- Formulate a variety of financial reports.
- Serve as a member of a management team for organizations services and recommending the establishment of policies and procedures affecting the accounting system.
- Advise management on regulatory requirements and changing program operations.
- Devise accounting structures and procedures to satisfy regulatory or legislative changes.
- Assist management in applying financial data and recommending alternatives to resolve difficult problems.
- Reconcile cash, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and other general ledger accounts.
- Correct all differences between the subsidiary ledger balances and the control account balances in the general ledger.
- Provide accounting information and guidance to program officials.
- Develop a segment of an automated accounting system.
- Review, analyze and validate public and/or private sector financial and statistical data.