To be considered for the position, you must meet either the requirements specified in the section titled Education OR the requirements specified in the section titled Experience.
GL-09: Master's or equivalent graduate degree OR two (2) full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree.
GS-11: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree. Graduate Education: Major study - -Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
NOTE: If you are using education to qualify, you MUST provide legible transcripts to receive consideration. All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, Click Here.
Transcripts MUST be received by the Consolidated Staffing Unit by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. (If you are selected for this position, you will be required to provide an OFFICIAL transcript prior to your first day on duty.)
For information regarding foreign education requirements, please see Foreign Diploma and Credit Recognition at the U.S. Department of Education website: Recognition of Foreign Qualifications
Experience You must have IT related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below. GL-09 and GS-11
- Attention to detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgement to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
EXPERIENCE You must have one year of specialized experience at the next lower GS-grade equivalent). Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the particular competencies/qualifications to successfully duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Such experience is typically gained in the IT field or through the performance of work where the primary concern is IT.
Some examples of this qualifying experience are:
- Experience troubleshooting, recovering, adjusting, modifying and improving IT systems.
- Experience implementing and supporting IT security applications.
- Experience assisting in the development, configuration, installation and maintenance of networked systems.
- Experience assisting with providing training and support in basic uses of a wide variety of computer systems and equipment.
- Experience developing and implementing solutions for improving the efficiency of operations by automating repetitive routine functions.
- Experience assisting with designing, developing, implementing and maintaining systems and services, assessing the effectiveness of current systems and services, and evaluating the feasibility of new systems and services.
- Experience providing hardware and software support to users of computers and associated equipment to include hardware configurations, Windows NT, SAP, and Microsoft Office.
- Experience utilizing performance tuning tools and techniques to optimize the functionality of networks and systems.
Combination of Education and Experience GL-09 and GS-11:
A combination of education and experience. This experience must have equipped you with the qualifications to perform the major duties of this position as described above.
Credit will be given for paid and unpaid experience. To receive proper credit, you must show the actual time (such as the number of hours worked per week) spent in activities.
**Your eligibility for consideration will be based on your responses to the questions in the application.**
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP). The ICTAP provides eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1)this vacancy is within your ICTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) you are found well qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and rate equivalent to the Highly Qualified category using established category rating criteria. You must provide proof of eligibility with your application of ICTAP eligibility or a copy of your separation personnel action form. Additional information about ICTAP eligibility is at: Click Here
The Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provides eligible surplus and displaced competitive service employees in the Department of Justice with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your Department of Justice component has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) you are found well qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and rate equivalent to the Highly Qualified category using established category rating criteria. You must provide a copy of your written notification of CTAP eligibility with your application. Additional information about CTAP eligibility is at: Click Here
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under DOJ's Category Rating and Selection Procedures. Your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses provided to the online assessment questionnaire. Your application will then be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified, or Qualified. Names of all candidates in the best qualified category will be sent to the hiring official for employment consideration. Candidates within the Best Qualified category who are eligible for veterans preference will receive selection priority over non-veteran preference eligibles.
If you are entitled to veterans preference, you should indicate the type of veterans preference you are claiming on your resume. Although veterans preference points are not assigned under the category rating procedures described under "How You Will Be Evaluated", veterans preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-veterans within each category for which they are qualified.
In addition, qualified veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more are placed at the top of the highest qualified category (i.e. Best Qualified).
What Competencies/Knowledge Skills and Abilities are Required for this Position?
The following Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's) are required:
To preview questions please click here.
- Ability to communicate with end users on a non-technical level.
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and solve data information or programming problems.
- Knowledge of network systems.
- Ability to interpret and apply information security policy and guidelines.
- Ability to plan, organize and determine priorities.