You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
For GS-12: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience for this position includes any or all of the following:
- IBM pSeries hardware;
- Power VM and Red Hat LINUX experience;
- Other versions of UNIX, LINUX and virtualization
In addition to meeting specialized experience, applicants must demonstrate they have experience in each of the four competencies described below. The experience has to be IT-related.
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application includes your: 1. Resume, 2. Responses to the online questions, and 3. Required supporting documents. We use a multi-step process to evaluate and refer applicants:
1. Minimum Requirements: Your application must show that you meet all requirements, including the education and/or experience required for this position. You may be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position. If your application is incomplete, we may rate you as ineligible.
2. Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Skill in researching, evaluating, building and testing of Unix architecture (specifically AIX operating systems, IBM Power Series server hardware components and. PowerVM virtualization) in a production networked environment.
- Skill in developing, implementing, and maintaining information systems security policies, security procedures, and mitigating security risks related to server hardware, operating systems, databases, network communications, encryption techniques, and Internet based applications.
- Knowledge and experience with preventive maintenance programs, systems monitoring, and analysis and problem solving related to Unix-based server hardware and software.
- The ability to effectively communicate orally with a wide variety of clients and coworkers of differing skill levels, to convey information of a highly technical nature related to the implementation and support of information technology systems.
- The ability to create and communicate in writing proper technical documentation pertaining to policies and procedures related to the implementation, maintenance, and support of information technology systems.
We may lower your rating if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three categories, Superior, Good, or Satisfactory, depending on your experience and education related to this position. Veterans'preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
3. Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration and possible interview. If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)), you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process. To preview questions please click here.