Qualification Requirements: You must submit a separate narrative statement that addresses each of the Mandatory Professional/Technical qualifications related to this position as well as the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) related to all positions in the Senior Executive Service.
Your narrative statements should include examples of experience, education, and accomplishments applicable to the qualification. Structure your statements in terms of the action taken, the context or environment in which the action was taken, and the outcome or results from such actions. You should write each statement with the vacancy in mind as all qualifications are directly related to the position being filled. Be sure to include appropriate training and awards when addressing your qualifications. Please limit your narrative statements to one and a half pages per factor.
For further information and tips on writing effective narrative statements, see OPM's publication A Guide to SES Qualifications available on the OPM website at: http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf .
If you do not submit a separate statement addressing these qualifications, you will not receive consideration for the position.
MANDATORY PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (MPTQs) : All applicants must submit written statements (narrative or bullet format acceptable) of accomplishments that would satisfy the technical qualifications. You must address each technical qualification separately. You are required to respond to all technical qualifications. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application and you will be rated as ineligible.'
- Senior level experience in budget, program, and policy analysis, with practice in the use of quantitative techniques.
- Experience in, or demonstrated potential for, leading teams and/or managing a professional staff to achieve timely, effective, and high quality results.
- Senior level experience in negotiation of policy issues and working in an inter-disciplinary environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate concisely and effectively, both orally and in writing particularly in support of policy processes that often involve short timeframes.
- Experience working with defense and national security policy issues.
MANDATORY EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFCATIONS (ECQs): In addition to the Mandatory Technical Qualification Requirements listed above, all new entrants into the SES under a career appointment will be assessed for executive competency against the following five mandatory executive core qualifications.
If you do not submit a separate statement addressing the ECQs and MPTQs, you will not receive consideration for the position.
Note: If you are a member of the SES or have been certified through successful participation in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program (SESCDP), or have SES reinstatement eligibility, you do not need to respond to the ECQs. Instead, you should attach proof (e.g., SF-50, Certificate of Completion of SESCDP) of your eligibility for appointment to the SES.
The following Fundamental Competencies are cross-cutting and should be addressed over the course of your ECQ narrative. It is not necessary to address them directly as long as the narrative, in its totality, shows mastery of the competencies on the whole. The competencies are: Interpersonal Skills; Oral Communications; Continual Learning; Written Communication; Integrity/Honesty; and Public Service Motivation.
- Leading Change This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- Leading People This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- Results Driven This core qualification involves the ability to meet organization goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- Business Acumen This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
- Building Coalitions/Communications This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Please see "Qualifications Required" for requirements of the position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
How You Will Be Evaluated: The Office of Administration's Human Resources Management Division will review all applications to determine if applicants meet the mandatory professional/technical qualifications of this position and the SES ECQs. Those who meet the qualifications will be referred to a panel of SES members for rating and ranking to determine the "best qualified" candidates. The panel may conduct interviews with the top candidates and then make a recommendation to the selecting official about the top candidates that he/she should interview.
Once a selection is made, the selectee's application will be forwarded to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) for approval by an OPM independent Qualifications Review Board, unless the selectee is a current SES executive or has successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program.