This job announcement is open only to current permanent National Gallery of Art employees.
Please read the vacancy announcement completely and submit all of the required documents to be considered for this position.
The incumbent is assigned to the Special Projects Department (DSP) of the Office of the Director and serves as a Special Projects Associate reporting to the Gallery’s Special Projects Officer.
The primary responsibilities of this position include developing ways to improve and expand the Gallery’s congressional and federal relations, assisting with preparing materials for the Director, supporting the DSP Director in preparing communications with Members of Congress and their staff, formulating and executing the department’s budget, performing coordination activities with various Gallery administrative offices, managing the preparation and publication of the Annual Report, and supporting other projects to develop special constituencies for the Gallery.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Communicates with congressional and committee staff to answer questions about the Gallery, sets up tours, provides Gallery printed information, and responds to Congressional inquiries via phone, email and mail
- Creates and maintains a database with information on various members of Congress and their staff members
- Researches and drafts letters for the Director’s signature in response to formal inquiries from members of Congress
- Monitors pertinent debates on the floors of the House and Senate to determine possible impact on the Gallery
- Assists the DSP Director in preparing information and briefing packages for Director’s meetings with members of Congress and in planning strategies to develop and increase Congressional relations
- Meets with appropriate staff of key members of Congress and committee staff
- Organizes and manages the Congress’ previews of exhibitions including the design of invitations, creation of guest list and oversight of mailings
- Coordinates with specific areas for on-site photography shoots and coordinates photography work with the Imaging and Visual Services Department
- Oversees design, development, production and mailing of Director’s annual Holiday Card
- Manages the annual “Save–the–Date” mailing for the Director’s Holiday Party
- Manages the Gallery’s Government Officials Reproductions Program including annual analysis of options and budget
- Maintains the Office’s financial records and budgeting activity and purchasing
Assists with the daily DSP administrative operations including maintenance of Raiser’s Edge files, answering phones, maintaining filing system, and reviewing and routing correspondence.