Job Title:Student Trainee (Engineering) - Pathways Intership Program
Department:Department Of Commerce
Agency:National Telecommunications and Information Administration
Job Announcement Number:NTIA-ITS-2013-0011
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Thursday, April 25, 2013 to
Wednesday, May 08, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy -
Boulder, CO, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Students accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program (diploma, certificate, etc.) in accredited/qualifying educational institution, on full or halt time basis.|
Over the past century, radio and wireless systems and telecommunications networks have become essential to life itself. The Institute for Telecommunications Sciences is a national leader in radio science and telecommunications systems. Become part of a team that solves telecommunications challenges for federal and state agencies and provides the nation with scientific information to thrive in an ever-changing world.
The Department of Commerce is seeking bright, innovative, results-oriented individuals to join our Pathways-Internship Program (IP). The Pathways Internship Program (IP) targets students accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program (diploma, certificate, etc,) in a accredited/qualifying educational institution, on a full time basis. (Applicant who do not meet the definitional of "student", will not be considered.) Internship can be seasonal (spring, summer, fall) or year round. At the successful conclusion of this program, you may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to a Federal career-conditional position. Interns may work full-time or part-time schedules. The Pathways Internship Program (IP) replaces STEP/SCEP.
Any required investigations and clearances must be completed before the selectee can be placed in the position.
Cumulative GPA of 2.9 must maintain at least a 2.9 GPA throughout the entire internship appointment.
- U.S. citizenship required.
- Registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.ssa.gov)
- You must be suitable for Federal employment.
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a dgree-seeking student.
- 18 years or older at the time of appointment.
DUTIES:Back to top
Provides standardized technical support in the development of equipment, software, standards, or data under general technical guidance on all phases of work adjusting and using technical equipment and instruments, selecting and applying software, evaluating and analyzing data, or adapting and carrying out established tests or calculations, and recording and disseminating results.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Pathways candidates must meet the qualification requirements consistent with the Department of Commerce and the OPM qualification standards: applicable to the position being filled. The classification of the Intern position will depend upon the field of study and level of coursework the candidate has completed.
- Candidate must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree-seeking student.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.9 must maintain at least a 2.9 GPA throughout the entire Internship appointment.
- 18 years or older at the time of appointment
- Degree does not have to be related to the position/series; however to be eligible, candidate must meet the OPM qualification standards for the position to which the Intern may be converted.
All applicants must meet the qualifications at the time of applying.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Candidates will be assessed based on basic eligibility requirements (either Agency developed standards or the OPM Qualification Standards for the position being filled). Veterans' preference applies to selection for positions in the Pathways Programs. Selections must be made in accordance with the requirernents of 5 CFR part 302, veterans' preference laws, and OPM guidance.
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Employees hired under the Pathways Programs on appointments for 90 days or more are eligible to earn annual and sick leave. Health and life insurance coverage for Federal employees depends on the type of appointment. Students hired under the Internship Program with a Not-To-exceed (NTE) date will not receive health and life insurance coverage. As a federal employee, you are eligible to receive a transit subsidy each month to compensate you for your travel to and from work via certain types of public transportation.
Any applicant tentatively selected for this position will be required to undergo a preemployment background investigation.
As a condition of employment, male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must certify that they have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law.
To be eligible for conversion to the competitive service after completion of the program, and Intern must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Successfully complete an academic course of study as evidenced by a qualfying degree
- Complete a minimum of 640 hours of work experience under the Internship Program
- Meet the OPM qualification standards for the position to which the Intern may be converted
- Maintain acceptable performance under the Agency's approved performance management system
- Receive favorable recommendation for conversion from supervisor
It ls important to remember that eligibllty for conversion does not guarantee
that the agency will decide to opt for conversion.
The Department of Commerce is not obligated to make an offer of employment, nor is the student obligated to accept an offer of employment.
CareerTransition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) candidates will be eligible if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining a rating of at least 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP/ICTAP eliglbillty is on the Office of Personnel Management's Career Transition Resources website at:
CTAP/ICTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
1. A copy of your specific Reduction In Force (RIF) notice, written notice of your expected separation or other documentation of priority consideration status;
2. A copy of your latest SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location;
3. A copy of your last performance appraisal Including your rating; and
4. Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential.
The following links provide Information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities:
- http://www.opm.gov/ctap/ Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)
- http://www.opm.gov/ctap/ Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Your complete application, including required documents, must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
To apply on-line, you must complete and submit an application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://www.usajobs.gov
. To begin, click the Apply Online button near the bottom of this screen and follow the prompts to register into your USAJOBS account, answer the questions, and submit all required documents.
To return to your saved application, log in to your USAJOBS account at http://www.usajobs.gov
and click on "Application Status." Click on the position title, and then select Apply Online to continue. If you have problems completing your on-line application, including problems submitting your supporting documents, please contact the Help Desk by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 866.656.6831. The help desk is available Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET.
For instructions on submitting your application in another format, please contact: Latasha Archer, Human Resource Specialist at 301-713-6330 or email at email@example.com
between 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET no less than 24 hours before the posted announcement closing date.
You will be required to submit the following supportive documents;
- Resume (with current cumulative GPA and expected date of graduation)
- Current Transcript (official or unofficial accepted)
- Veteran's Preference Documentation - If applicable, please indicate on your resume the type of veterans' preference you are claiming and provide the appropriate supporting documentation (DD-214 OR Armed Forces certification letter specifying discharge or release from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions, VA letter, SF-15 (revised December 2004 or later), etc.) to validate your claim. For more Information regarding eligibility requirements, please go to: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx
- Sign a Pathways Internship Participant Agreement (agreement to be signed by student and supervisor on the first week of employment)
- College Acceptance letter - If just enrolled
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You will be notified of your application status through USAJOBS at four points during the hiring process, as applicable. You can check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://usajobs.gov/ and clicking on "Track Your Online Application." The four points of notification are:
*Application Received or Application Incomplete;
*Minimum Qualification Requirement Met or Minimum Qualification Requirement Not Met;
*Eligible (Application Referred to the Selecting Official) or Eligible (Application Not Referred to the Selecting Official); and
*Selected or Not Selected.
By submitting your application, you are certifying the accuracy of the information contained in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be terminated after you begin work; or, you may be fined or jailed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will be required to submit official documentation prior to appointment. The agency will then verify the information provided on your application (i.e., degree, veterans' preference, disability, etc.).