This position is located in the Office of Facilities Management and Reliability (OFMR), Office of Facilities Engineering and Operations (OFEO), Smithsonian Institution. The incumbent serves under the general supervision of the Building Manager and performs a variety of duties in the zone.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
* Will be required to obtain and maintain a Commercial Applicator certificate for herbicide application (Front Royal only). *
- Acts as a principal advisor to the Zone Manager on matters concerning maintenance operations involving metals, electrical, paint, woodcraft, and HVAC shop’s responsibilities for painting, machining, carpentry, and masonry.
- Plans, directs, monitors, and manages the operations of the Crafts Shop involving a staff including lower-level supervisory personnel journeymen, leaders, craftsmen, and apprentices in the fields of carpentry, drywall, painting, wood crafting, framing, masonry, electrical, plumbing, and other skills, as needed.
- Uses a maintenance management computer software system (Facility Center) for time-keeping, purchasing, work order management, and reporting.
- Maintains close contact with customers, responds to their inquiries, and checks periodically to determine degree-of-satisfaction with quality-of-work performed.
- Identifies building deficiencies and initiates work tickets to complete work.