The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visit NIH Overview<>
This position is located in the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Office of the Director (OD), Office of Science Management and Operations (OSMO), Office of Technology Development (OTD). The OTD establishes and implements policies governing certain NIAID technology transfer activities.
You will serve as a Technology Development Specialist providing general advice, guidance, and assistance on issues relating to collaborative and other agreements, inventions, patents, licensing, royalties, and other technology transfer matters. If selected for this position, you will perform the following duties:
- Advise NIAID staff of the interpretation of laws, regulations, and policies pertaining to technology transfer activities.
- Assess and make determinations regarding the patentability of inventions by applying knowledge in the field as well as conducting prior art searches and assessing the commercial potential of inventions.
- Conduct programs to educate NIAID intramural and extramural scientists and administrators about technology transfer.
- Participate, as appropriate, in meetings to discuss intellectual property and technology transfer matters.
- Review, draft, and negotiate technology transfer agreements for assigned intramural laboratories and extramural branches.
- Monitor deadlines and other benchmarks in agreements to determine if collaborators are their obligations.
At the GS-11 and GS-12 levels, you will perform the same duties as those at the full performance level described above, however duties are less complex and will be performed under closer supervision and more detailed guidance.