Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants under announcement 13-1617-WE-GR-M1. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
The position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Coast Guard, Pay and Personnel Center, Operations Division, Separations, Entitlements and Debts & Service Validation (SES) Branch,Topeka, Kansas.
The incumbent is a technician responsible for auditing and correcting leave and pay accounts, reviewing and researching payroll control reports, responding to message traffic, processing regular and supplemental payrolls, and handling miscellaneous adjustments and corrections to members' pay accounts.
Being a CG civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG Team. Typical work assignments include:
- Audits payroll control and variance reports. Utilizes the automated payroll system to research accounts and determines whether adjustments are necessary.
- Processes account discrepancies to correct payroll accounts which could not be updated through the automated system. Calculates pay entitlements, and inputs appropriate transactions to credit or debit the member's pay account.
- Researches military leave inquiries, and makes appropriate adjustments to leave accounts.
- Processes special payments outside the automated system, when due to the nature of the situation, a special payment is warranted.
- Performs analysis and evaluation of computer error reports, and initiates the appropriate corrective action.
- Performs research of the automated data base, takes corrective action, and responds to inquiries.
- Verifies that transactions are mathematically accurate, contains proper accounting data, and are in compliance with federal laws and regulations.
- Processes requests received under the Privacy Act and Freedom of Information Act.