For the GS-15 grade level, applicants must have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service.
Specialized Experience: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
Specialized experience is required for this position: Experience in supervisory role and familiarity with administrative policies, procedures, regulations; strategic initiatives and programs, principles and practices of the Agency necessary to serve as an expert in leading and improving Office wide program effectiveness and function.
Documenting experience: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
*This position has a positive education requirement*
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
To meet the basic educational requirements, applicants must have completed either:
A) Applicants must have a degree that included at least 30 semester
hours in one or a combination of the following: biological sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary
medical science, or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly related to consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours may include up to 8 semester hours in statistics or
course work that included the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming;
B) Combination of education and experience - courses consisting of at least 30 semester hours in the fields of study described above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
The quality of the combination of education and experience must have been sufficient to demonstrate that the applicant possesses the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform work in the
occupation, and is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4 year course of study with major study in the appropriate field.
This position has a minimum education requirement; therefore, all federal employees who are changing occupation/series must submit either a list of courses or college transcript documenting relevant
college courses and credits to be considered for this position. This position has positive education requirements so applicants must submit college transcripts or list of courses, including title, credit hours and grade for each course if you are a federal employee changing series, or if you are an outside candidate.
- Qualifying education gained at colleges and universities in foreign countries must be evaluated in terms of its equivalency to that acquired at American colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private
organization for an equivalency evaluation. A letter containing the results MUST accompany the application package.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Additional Security and Background Requirements: May be referred depending on the position being filled. If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
3. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
4. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
5. Bargaining Unit Position: No
6. Drug Screening Required: No
7. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: No
8. Research position: No
9. Supervisory position: Yes
10. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated and rated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Knowledge and experience with the Food, Drug, & Cosmetic Act and key programs of the Center/Office;
Experience leading and directing the work of supervisors and managers;
Ability to clearly and concisely communicate information orally;
Ability to clearly and concisely communicate written information;
Provides strategic leadership to the Office.