This position is located in DHS/U.S. Coast Guard, Finance Center, Accounting Operations Division, General Accounting Branch, Chesapeake, VA.
The Finance Center serves as the prime site for Coast-Guard wide accounting functions including the payment of all commercial and government vendors.
Being a CG civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team. Typical work assignments include:
- Applying experienced knowledge of accounting principles, appropriation law, procurement regulation and other regulatory guidance to the accounting transaction/document.
- Applying a sound understanding of double entry accounting concepts and procedures in performing a wide variety of functions and activities classified as accounting events.
- Responding to a wide variety of routine, unusual and complex questions generated from a large and diverse customer base.
- Receiving, examining, analyzing, researching, auditing, interpreting and processing a wide variety of routine, unusual and complex accounting transactions/documents.
- Reconciling and interpreting complex data and data elements form computer screens, printouts or manual reports to source records and makes complex adjustments as determined necessary.
- Preparing reports for higher management's review outlining findings, trouble areas, and recommendations for corrective action or improvements.
- Performing accounting input and query by the use of computer terminals.