Job Title:Research Civil Engineer (Highway), GS-810-13/14 (Open to US Citizens) JAC
Department:Department Of Transportation
Agency:Federal Highway Administration
Job Announcement Number:FHWA.HRT-2013-0014
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, April 24, 2013 to
Friday, May 03, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time - -
|1 vacancy -
Mclean, VA, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
Applications will be accepted from any U.S. citizen. A separate job announcement is being advertised for applicants eligible for status consideration. Current and former status employees and veterans who qualify under VEOA are encouraged to also apply to announcement:
Real solutions to meet genuine challenges. Innovative ideas to take on growing realities. That's the Federal Highway Administration - Leaders in Paving the Way on the Road to Success.
This position is located in the Office of Infrastructure R&D (HRDI) of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Office of Research, Development, and Technology (HRT). HRDI is responsible for the management and conduct of a national research and development program addressing innovative technologies for the design, construction, inspection, operation, management, and preservation of the highway infrastructure. In addition, HRDI provides highly specialized, expert technical support to other FHWA and U.S. DOT offices (e.g., the Inspector General and RITA), other Federal agencies (e.g., the Department of Homeland Security and National Transportation Safety Board), State highway agencies and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO).
The ideal candidate for this position has substantial practical experience in highway infrastructure asset management and preservation for at least one class of infrastructure assets (e.g., pavements or bridges), with more general experience with all the classes of highway infrastructure assets. He/she also has significant knowledge of research methods and project management and oversight, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills.
You will be requested to do a presentation and/or provide a writing sample as part of the interview process.
If selected for this position you will be required to file a confidential financial disclosure form within 30 days of entering the position.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and meet specialized experience
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Provide all required documents by closing date
- This position is telework eligible.
- Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days
- Announcement also advertised to status applicants: FHWA.HRT-2013-0015
DUTIES:Back to top
The Research Civil Engineer (Highway) is responsible for:
- Planning, conducting, managing, and reviewing research and development activities associated with infrastructure preservation.
- Advancing asset management principles and developing guidance on when and how to apply the right treatments at the right time for maximum benefit.
- Formulating research and managing research as a Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) for research and development contracts in his/her area of expertise.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, AND (3) meet the experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
||To qualify, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the following:
- Experience conveying technical information on infrastructure (pavement, bridges and/or structures) preservation issues or hands on experience in infrastructure preservation.
- Experience conveying technical information on infrastructure (pavement, bridges and/or structures) preservation issues or hands on experience in infrastructure preservation
- Experience as a recognized technical expert/authority on infrastructure (pavement, bridges and structures) preservation techniques (examples of recognition by others would include invitations to serve on regional or national teams on this topic, serving on a project technical evaluation panel, serving as an expert witness, serving on an oversight or steering committee, being asked to provide a keynote address, etc.).
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
All applicants must meet one of the following requirements to qualify for consideration for an engineering position:
- Successful completion of a professional engineering degree at an accredited university or college.
- Have a combination of college level education or training AND technical experience that has furnished you with (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
- Professional registration as a engineer.
- Evidence of Passing the Engineer-in-Training Written Test
- Successful documented completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences as described by OPM.
- Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field and at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.
Please review the OPM page on specifics about required curriculum and for more information on qualifications, please visit GS-800: All Professional Engineering Positions qualifications.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Selective Service: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- Probationary Period: You must complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Government Travel Card - You must be able to obtain and retain a Government contractor-issued travel card to be used for official business as a condition of employment. If unable to obtain and/or retain a card, you may be subject to removal. Those who fail to meet this condition of employment will have our offer of employment rescinded.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience, or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration. To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
If you are having difficulty applying online, send an email to email@example.com or call us at (202)366-1298.
The following documents must
be provided by the close date:
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
- RESUME - Showing relevant experience and education and fully supporting the required specialized experience.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE
- TRANSCRIPTS - Verifying that you meet the stated education requirements for the series OR an SF-50 showing that you have already qualified and worked in the federal service in this series. The transcripts need not be official. If you are qualifying based on possessing a current Professional Engineer (PE) license, or passing the Engineer in Training (EIT) exam, please provide a copy of PE license or written documented proof of passing the EIT.
- VETERANS - In order to be considered as a preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD214. Your DD214 need not be official but must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty. If you are claiming preference eligibility as a disabled veteran, you must submit proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally a valid letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability.
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS - If requesting concurrent consideration for Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility (e.g. military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit military spouse NC appointments or Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration.
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS: Only required if requesting priority consideration under CTAP/ICTAP. You must submit ALL of the following: (1) your most recent performance appraisal, (2) the proof of
eligibility letter from the Agency, and (3) your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. In addition, you must meet the well qualified standards for this vacancy (falling in the Gold Category).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.