The U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Material Safety Administration's (PHMSA) mission is to protect people and the environment from the risk inherent in transportation of hazardous materials - by pipeline and other modes of transportation.
You will report to the Office of Pipeline Safety's (OPS) Deputy Associate Administrator for Policy and Programs and manages the OPS Office of Engineering, Research and Development. Serves as principal advisor and provides expertise to the Associate Administrator for Pipeline Safety on all technical aspects of hazardous liquid and natural gas pipeline safety issues. You will exercise full authority and accountability for planning, programming directing, organizing, coordinating, budgeting, training, and overseeing the office. You also are a senior headquarters technical advisor on the safety of any particular pipeline operation or proposed alternative to pipeline regulations.
This position is perfect for a Senior level General Engineer who is looking for challenging assignments. Administers the pipeline engineering program. The Director of Engineering, Research and Development is responsible for protecting against risk of life and property inherent in the pipeline transportation of natural gas, petroleum, and other hazardous liquids through inspection and enforcement of federal safety regulations, investigation of accidents and incidents, technical analysis, research and development projects and other technically oriented work, and providing technical assistance to state programs for pipeline safety. Participates, on a regular basis, with the Associate Administrator and the two Deputy Associate Administrators in establishing national policy and initiatives.
As an Supervisory General Engineer, you will
- Provide policy guidance and direction for the accomplishment of field engineering safety functions in accordance with broad goals and objectives.
- Determine technical support needs to assist the regional staff and state pipleline safety agencies with execution of compliance reviews, tests, assessments and evaluations of pipeline integrity.
- Direct preparation of reports evaluating the adequacy and results of testing related to safety and the transportation of natural gas, petroleum, and other hazardous materials by pipeline based on analysis of lessons learned from accidents.
- Provide advisory services to superiors on program areas of emphasis.
- Communicate technical information to diverse audiences.