To qualify at the GS-07 level you must have one of the following: A. 1 full year of graduate level education in a field directly related to this position OR superior academic achievement. [Superior academic achievement is based on (1) class standing: you must be in the upper third of your graduating class in college, university, or major subdivision; (2) grade-point average: you must have a grade point average of (a) 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 as recorded on your official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of your curriculum; or (b) 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on the average of required courses completed in your major field or required courses in your major field completed during the final 2 years of your curriculum [Grade point averages can be rounded to one decimal place. For example, 2.95 will round to 3.0, and 2.94 will round to 2.9; and (3) election to membership in a national scholastic honor society.] OR B. One year of full-time specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 level in the Federal government that involved serving as an officer in training, mate, cadet or intern onboard commercial vessels, watch-standing, assisting with marine vessel inspections, etc. OR C. A combination of the type of graduate education described in "A" and the kind of experience described in "B." To combine education and experience, first take the number of semester hours or equivalent earned towards a graduate degree and divide by 18 semester hours or equivalent. Then take the number of months of full-time experience and divide by 12 months. Add the percentages together. The total must equal at least 100 percent to qualify.
This position does not have a positive education requirement. If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using the on-line assessment to place you in one of three categories. The necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities to perform this job are:
- Basic knowledge of the laws, treaties, conventions, regulations, and directives relating to vessel navigations, vessel inspection, vessel manning, and pollution prevention.
- Basic knowledge of the broad range of vessel hull and equipment systems associated with lifesaving, fire protection, navigation, ventilation, watertight integrity, welding, pollution prevention, inert gas systems, crude oil washing, cargo containment systems, and pressure vessels.
- Basic knowledge of a wide range of concepts, principles, and practices of a professional or administrative occupation and skill in applying this knowledge to difficult and complex work assignments.
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
1. Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
2. Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
3. Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, you must support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume.
Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. For information on veterans' preference, click here. To preview questions please click here.