The incumbent serves as a pharmacy technician under the supervision of the Director, Pharmacy Operations or designee. The incumbent performs specialized pharmacy technician duties involving controlled substance program management. Duties include but are not limited to:
· Selects proper medication, dose, strength, solution and admixes per established procedures, reconstituting as required to prepare IV medication, with reference to a pharmacist for final check.
· Completes all work using knowledge of pharmacy policies and procedures, techniques, measuring systems, equipment, medication properties and arithmetic computations.
· Coordinates the technical aspect of the Controlled Substance Pharmacy drug distribution activities to ensure standard operating procedures are in alignment with automation capabilities so that efficiencies are maximized. Incumbent is instrumental in recommending changes for the improvement of the workflow, work methods and priorities involved within the drug distribution system.
· Participates in 72-hour inventories and monthly-unannounced inventories utilizing the VistA controlled substances software. Conducts inventories rotating with other pharmacy technicians.
· Interacts with Controlled Substance Inspection Officials in troubleshooting problems. Keeps supervisors immediately informed of any suspicious loss of narcotics.
· Receives new stock and returned stock into the pharmacy vault and appropriately notifies Pharmacy Administration to adjust controlled substances inventory and ensures the accuracy of controlled substances records.
· Displays comprehensive knowledge of the procurement and formulary process and facilitates drug availability with those personnel.
· Trains and orients new personnel in all technical phases of pharmacy operations to improve their expertise with appropriate controlled substance management.
· Performs a basic analysis of the data and generates a variety of reports. Monitors controlled substances accountability records to identify questionable circumstances or unusual trends by examining pre-defined surveillance reports, written controlled substance records, and individual patient records. Communicates to supervisor any activities involving controlled substance that deviate from approved policies and procedures.
· Maintains clean and orderly work areas by keeping stock and equipment in assigned places and all counters free of debris for optimal work environment in accordance with good manufacturing practices.
· Arranges, sequences, and appropriately performs work to meet the variable workload demands.
· Serves as lead technician for issues pertaining to controlled substance regulatory compliance (i.e. OIG, JC, VHA Handbook), quality assurance, and continuing quality improvement.
· Assists in the quality management of Pharmacy Service by participating in process action teams and continually seeking ways to improve the service provided to patients and other customers.