Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
You could experience the best of two worlds by taking advantage of the opportunity to become a Citizen Soldier in the United States Army Reserve Military Technician Program. As a Citizen Soldier, you are employed by the Department of Army as a civilian working a normal full-time workweek with all the benefits available to a Federal service employee to include health and life insurance, retirement and Thrift Savings Plan, and accrual of leave (annual, sick and military). When duty calls, you can proudly put on the uniform as a military service member of the United States Army Reserve and receive the pay and benefits associated with the military assignment. As a member of the United States Army Reserve, you are required to perform military duty one weekend a month and at least fourteen days a year of annual training. In your civilian position, you perform work in direct support of the US Army Reserve in an administrative, professional or maintenance related position. As a US Army Reserve Military Technician, you are a vital link in the chain of command of the United States Army Reserve and civil service, working with professionals like yourself at locations around the world or as close as next door. As a civilian Military Technician you are one of the most important keys to combat readiness; as an Army Reservist you have the opportunity to perform military duty to defend and to serve your country by performing military duty when needed.
This is a permanent position.
This position is located at: 81st Regional Support Command, Area Maintenance Support Activity 146, Brookhaven, Mississippi.
About the surrounding area: Brookhaven is a small city in Lincoln County, Mississippi. Copiah Lincoln Community College hosts the Community Arts Series providing musical performances from nationally known musicians. The Brookhaven Trust for the Preservation of History, Culture and the Arts, as well as many social organizations and clubs, bring a wide variety of artistic lectures and performances to Brookhaven. Lake Lincoln State Park and Percy Quin Sate Park, both a short drive from Downtown Brookhaven provide a variety of outdoor activities for the family to enjoy: hiking, biking, camping, boating and other water sports.
Description of the working environment: Work will be performed in a maintenance shop setting.
Who May Apply:
The duties of this position include:
· Troubleshooting, repairing, modifying and maintaining a variety of heavy mobile equipment (bulldozers, graders, tractors, trucks, tracked recovery vehicles, ambulances, generators and forklifts)
· Removing and repairing major systems or components of equipment (power packs, transmissions, transfers, gear reduction units, injector pumps,air conditioners, fuel pumps and alternators)
· Making idle speed, current, brake and transmission linkage adjustments
· Performing mechanical diagnostics
· Troubleshooting to localize defects and determine cause of malfunction
· Performing mechanical maintenance on defective parts
· Performing minor body work
· Operating motor vehicles to perform the duties of this position