Job Title:Student Trainee (Administration)
Department:General Services Administration
Agency:Public Buildings Service
Job Announcement Number:1306037DHOTR
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Friday, April 19, 2013 to
Friday, April 26, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
Excepted Appointment NTE 90 days|
|FEW vacancies -
Kansas City, MO, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Current students enrolled at least half-time in an accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate.|
You may have heard GSA called 'the government's landlord', but GSA is about more than just buildings...We're a vehicle management and acquisition service...a real estate manager...an IT solutions provider...a global supply chain manager...and more! GSA provides innovative solutions for Federal agencies that include products, services, workspace, and expertise to build a more high-performing, efficient, sustainable, and transparent government for the American people. And, since our jobs are as diverse as the services we provide, GSA is a great place to start, build, and expand your career.
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'.
This announcement is for a summer intern in facilities management. Ideal candidates will be pursuing a degree in facility management or a directly related degree area.
GSA Region 6, The Heartland Region
Public Buildings Service (PBS)
Facilities Management Division
1500 E Bannister Rd
Kansas City, MO 64131
Note: The closing date of this announcement has been extended from April 23 to April 26, 2013.
This position is being announced under the Pathways Student Internship Program. This Program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school and while getting paid for the work performed. Students who successfully complete the program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent job in the civil service. Additional information about the Internship Program can be found at http://www.opm.gov/HiringReform/Pathways/program/interns/
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Signed participant agreement is required for employment under this Program.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a facilities management summer intern in GSA's Public Buildings Service (PBS), you will participate in the following activities:
- Rotate through each branch of the PBS Facilities Management Division to gain a basic understanding of GSA facilities management program areas and the work carried out by each branch.
- Shadow the Director, Deputy Director, and branch chiefs in the PBS Facilities Management Division
- Attend a Governance Board Meeting
- Shadow Occupational Safety and Health inspections and surveys
- Complete a rotation in the PBS Service Centers Division, Kansas City South Field Office, which is responsible for the daily facility operations of 14 federally-owned buildings and various leases throughout the state of Missouri.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The GS-4 salary range starts at $13.41 per hour, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
In order to qualify at the GS-4 level, you must possess one of the following:
- Completion of 2 academic years of post-high school study or an Associate's degree. OR
- Completion of 1 academic year of post-high school study and 4 months (640 hours) of student trainee or equivalent work experience. OR
- Completion of 1 1/2 academic years of post-high school study and 2 months (320 hours) of student trainee or equivalent work experience. OR
- One year of general experience. Qualifying general experience is progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled.
Qualifying educational institutions/programs for Intern positions include: a high school/GED whose curriculum has been approved by a state or local governing body, or a home-school curriculum; and any accredited technical or vocational school, 2- or 4-year college or university, a graduate or professional school, or a post-secondary home-school curriculum.
A post-secondary certificate program must have been completed at a qualifying educational institution equivalent to at least 1 academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
Education completed outside of the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in conventional/accredited U.S. education programs to be acceptable for Federal employment. See OPM's General Policies
for information on crediting education.
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Provide a copy of up-to-date transcripts prior to appointment for verification of enrollment and academic standing as proof of eligibility for participation in the Intern Program.
- Sign an agreement between GSA, the student and educational institution that will identify agreed-upon schedule of school and work to ensure work responsibilities do not interfere with academic performance.
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 and who are at least 18 years of age must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment" (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background security investigation and receive a favorable adjudication.
- If you are not a current GSA employee, you must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 to determine identity and employment (work status) eligibility. GSA will verify the information through the DHS e-Verify automated system. Any identified discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Category Rating procedure is being used to rate candidates. If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self assessment vacancy questions will be used to place you in one of the following categories: Qualified, Well Qualified, Best Qualified. Your responses to the vacancy questions must be supported by your resume or the Human Resources Specialist may adjust your responses lower. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Appropriate documentation must be received to adjudicate veterans' preference.
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
1. Knowledge of facilities management concepts and practices
2. Basic knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health concepts
3. Ability to read and interpret written instructions, regulations, and guidelines
4. Ability to communicate orally
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing.
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Bargaining Unit status: This position is not included in a bargaining unit.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses are not authorized for this position. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means. Management also has the right not to fill the position.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. For information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
We will only consider applications submitted through the online process listed below unless an exception has been approved by a representative of the HR Office listed on this announcement. A description of the online process is provided below:
- Select the "Apply Online" button. Log on to OPM's USAJOBS to access your existing resume or to create a new one.
- From your account, select which resume you wish to submit. You also have the option of attaching any required documents saved in your USAJOBS account. Click "Apply for this Position Now!"
- You will be redirected to GSA's automated system, GSAjobs. First time users will be asked to respond to "Account Creation" questions. If you are a return GSAjobs user, click the links on the left to review and update any necessary profile information before continuing on with the application process.
- You will be prompted to respond to "Eligibility Questions" which will be used to determine your eligibility to apply for various types of vacancies. If you are a return user, these fields will pre-populate with your previous responses. Please review and make any necessary changes before proceeding.
- Next, you will be asked to respond to vacancy specific questions regarding your qualifications and the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or other competencies required to successfully perform this position.
- Submit any required documents (see below). A "Vacancy Documents" page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Most documents become part of your permanent electronic file and you need to submit them only once unless you wish to update. You can view the Description column next to each form to determine if a previously submitted document is on file. For each document you must submit, select one of the following options in the "Action" column:
- "Upload" - Using the Document Manager, upload document (.gif, .jpeg, .png, .rtf, .pdf, and .doc format only) directly from your computer;
- "USAJOBS" - Using the Document Manager, download a document you previously attached from your USAJOBS account for this vacancy.
- "FAX" - Print the Fax Cover Sheet, then fax cover sheet and document(s) to the listed phone number. We strongly recommend you read the "Fax Instructions" provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- At this point, if you are determined to be qualified for the position based upon your previous responses, additional assessment questions may be presented.
- Finally, you'll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the 'Save PDF' button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE 'FINISH' BUTTON to submit your application.
If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application:Veterans
: In order to be considered as a 5-point preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty (member 4 copy). If you are claiming 10-point preference, you must submit the following in addition to the DD-214: (1) completed SF-15
form; and (2) proof of your entitlement to this preference. A list of documents which serve as acceptable proof of entitlement is indicated on the SF-15 form. Active Duty Military Personnel
- In lieu of the DD-214, active duty service members may submit a written document from the armed forces certifying that they expect to be discharged or released under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.College Transcripts:
Submit a photocopy of your college transcript(s). Transcripts must show that you are currently enrolled as a student. If selected, an official/sealed transcript will be required prior to appointment. For education completed outside the United States, also submit a valid foreign credential evaluation that substantiates possession of the required education. See OPM's General Policies
for information on crediting education.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. Candidates in the highest quality category will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications.