SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Specialized Experience: A qualified candidate’s online application and resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as experience in public affairs matters to include:
- Subject research, preparation of internal communication, and media relations;
- Providing information about unit programs; and
- Participating in the development of projects and/or campaigns to internal/external audiences through social media and traditional media.
Education: PH.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; OR 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; OR LL.M., if related
A combination of education and experience that satisfies 100% of the qualifications requirement(s).
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Knowledge of communications and public affairs principles, methods, practices and techniques.
- Ability to provide public affairs program advice, guidance and assistance.
- Ability to write press releases, talking points, and speeches in acceptable language and form.
- Knowledge of basic concepts and various kinds of energy research and technology development.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing, layout, design and graphics.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of communication with the public by newspaper, radio, television, etc.
- Ability to develop briefing materials, presentations, testimony, and other products for use by management.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
EDUCATION: Are you using education to qualify?
You must provide documentation supporting your education claims. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
- A preliminary background check must be completed before a new employee can begin work. Current Federal employees or other individuals with an existing completed background investigation may not be required to undergo another background check.
- THIS POSITION IS IN THE BARGAINING UNIT COVERED UNDER NTEU
- Status and Non-status applicants from outside DOE selected for this position are required to serve a mandatory one (1) year probationary period. A DOE career status employee selected for this position may be required to serve a new one (1) year probationary period, pursuant to 5 CFR 315.802.
- ALL supplemental documentation MUST be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
- Applicants MUST meet ALL eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted. To preview questions please click here.